Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well we had another u/s yesterday and they are saying that the baby is now measuring 8 pounds and 15 ounces. I will be 36 weeks this saturday. That does not surprise me. I had actually lost 3 pounds since my last visit but I am getting much bigger.

Everyone around me is freaking out about the size, except for my husband, myself and our doula. Hubby and I are both incredibly calm and confident that my body is capable of this, or else I would not have grown a baby this big.

I have taken A LOT of the info you have gave me to heart and prepared to use it if my mid-wives group (affiliated with a hosp) try to give me a hard time about induction or c-section later on. In fact, I am not even going to agree to another u/s strictly to check for size. To me that is ignorant. We already know the baby is big, why make it worse by giving us higher numbers. It is what it is and that is all that matters. I already feel uncomfortable with the number that I have had (3) so I am not going to agree for more for such a trivial reason. Regardless of what they say the baby is measuring later on, I am not going to change my mind regarding any induction. However, after 37 weeks I am going to try some natural inducers, I figure they would not work anyway if the baby wasn't ready.

Luckily, the baby has finally dropped into head down position. Still face up, but at least head down. We have a VERY strong heartbeat. I think that even the mid-wife was impressed with how strong it was because we all three sat there listening it for much longer than usual for a normal check.

So the baby is doing great and healthy. That is important not really how big it is going to be!

I just wanted to let you all know our updates!

·
Registered
15,097 Posts
A few thoughts.

First, I'm sure you know that ultrasounds cannot accurately predict weight. Many times they are off by pounds or more. Ask around and you will hear stories that women were told they were having 9lb babies and birthed babies that were 6.5lbs.

Second, babies don't gain astronimcal amounts in the last few weeks. Even if s/he is 8-15 now that puts him under 11lbs.

Third, are you completely sure about your due date?

Mostly, just the first one though. Very inaccurate.

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
Good luck..I was induced with DS on my due date because of size. OB thought over 10lbs turns out he was ONLY ( lol) 9lb7oz and 22 inches long 14.75 head. 21 hours of labor 2 pushs and he was born just fine. We want to try again soon. My aunt holds our family birth record at 10lb7oz. We just have big babies.

Jeana
Mom to Logan 13 Connor 10 and Nathan 19months

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Hello!
Congratulations on the little one on the way! I had a lot of preterm labor and had a zillion ultrasounds to decide whether or not to induce due to large size - they didn't by the way...I gave birth to a 9lb 4oz baby (they were sure she was over 10lbs) without any pain medication or an epidural. I too had a doula and a wonderful husband who were there for the whole thing. Our bodies do not make babies larger than we can handle! Don't listen to them - you are fine - your bay is fine - good luck and PUSH!

·
Registered
7,527 Posts
let's just assume for fun that the u/s is right. (which, it is usually NOT)

babies typically gain only a 1/4 lb a week in the last month.

So, you're looking at a baby right under ten pounds.

Totally normal, totally ok.

Just listen to your heart. Darn those ultrasounds!

Oh, and next time - birth at home!

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
Sounds like a healthy baby to me! I think you are wise to discontinue u/s unless there is an urgent medical need. The more you have, the more paranoid you will become and the more paranoid your practitioners will become.

Just keep reminding yourself that fat is squishy. A baby's body fat is not the hard part!

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
The little one's head isn't going to grwo much more now is it? And that's the part that might make a difference!

I have a good friend who is 5' 0" like me and petite. Her Dh is way over 6" and built like a barn. Her doctors and the hopsital were panicking about GD because her little one was 'so' big. She had been lectured about C section and her inability to birth such a 'big' baby. He was on track for 10lbs or so they said.

Anyways he turned up spontaneously at just over 35 weeks at 6lb 12oz. However you look at it, he knew what he had to do to come into the world.

Doctors know too much and try to make decisions based on what they know. I heard an esteemed fertility doctor on the radio this morning saying that at the moment science is peddling certainty and that is not helping anyone. Scientists and docs should be accepting of uncertainty just as the rest of us are.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by orangefoot
The little one's head isn't going to grwo much more now is it? And that's the part that might make a difference!
Actually, the baby's head will mold (bones overlap themseves) as it exits the birth canal. The head size as measured after birth is NOT the same diameter as when it passed through the birth canal. Don't let anyone get you freaked out about head size, as nature already come up with a solution for this problem too!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.