Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
WTF??!!

An oxymoron RIGHT THERE! Someone ought to get a hold of a circumstraint, fill it with either candy or chips and place it on their livingroom table and take a picture of it and send it to the company with the caption:

"THIS is what a circumstraint is for! NOT for mutilating babies! Say NO to circ! Circumstitions.com" (don't even need to spell it out the entire word; they'll get the connection)

Maybe create a large poster; a side-by-side picture of the infamous picture of a baby strapped down to this torture device and being mutilated and the picture of the candy dish beside it. A little hint here: Psychology experts will tell you if you give children 2 options, they're more likely to choose the second one; in connection with the pictures, put the mutilated picture on the left and the peaceful picture on the right.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by eclipse View Post
are these ever used for other necessary medical procedures? I mean, the picture and description is vomit worthy - I'm just trying to figure out if there is another legitimate use for them.

Drawing blood... for blood samples?

·
Registered
43,705 Posts
Well, lower down in the description it DOES say that it can be used for other medical procedures- making sure a baby doesn't move during an X-ray, or for inserting IVs. But the item IS explicetly designed for circ, and is named as such.

I can understand why such an item could be useful in a hospital, but for a homebirth midwife?

·
Registered
12,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't know any homebirth midwives that would be performing any procedures at home that should require restraint. Or even parents. Even putting an ng-tube down a baby who is resistant, you could just use a blanket wrapping technique.

Yes in hospitals there are plenty of other valid reasons one would need to immobilize a (sick) baby. And even that is
. But at home? Or for the homebirth midwife? I can't think of one.

·
Registered
232 Posts
It really sounds like someone who performs circumcisions wrote the text for it
"Circumstraints comfortable contoured shape positions the infant, hips elevated, perfectly presenting the genitalia." How sick is that. its also hard to tell ,but it looks like the baby in the circumstraint is not a newborn and already circumcised?

·
Registered
114 Posts
"In less than 30 seconds, a nurse can immobilize the struggling infant securely in the correct position with Circumstraint. It works on a proven principle of positive 4-point restraint. Soft wide Velcro straps encircle the infants elbows and knees, depriving him/her of leverage. "

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by AXEius View Post
It really sounds like someone who performs circumcisions wrote the text for it
"Circumstraints comfortable contoured shape positions the infant, hips elevated, perfectly presenting the genitalia." How sick is that. its also hard to tell ,but it looks like the baby in the circumstraint is not a newborn and already circumcised?

It's the "perfectly presenting the genitalia" part that really turns my stomach. Like it's being served up on a platter like it's a f'ing centerpiece with decorative leaves and greenery or something, instead of a human being's most intimate body parts.

·
Registered
12,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think the text is from the manufacturer. At least, other items on her site are listed that way. Please please write to her. She carries many other items on her site that are good/useful/hard to find. I was shocked and disgusted to see this.

It is a retired homebirth midwife who runs or used to run that site.

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
This was the site I was going to get my birth supplies from when I was planning a UC. I'm glad I didn't give them my money. Poor baby.
:

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
OMG, I totally never saw that before. Thats the company I ordered my homebirth stuff from! Ick!
To answer the question above, in theory it could be used for other purposes, but they dont. When a baby has its blood drawn it is either held by the parent or held down by the parent and a second person. We have always held our babies during blood draws. As for other medical procedures, like x-rays, CT's, etc, they have devices made specifically for that procedure. Like, my dd had a CT scan when she was around 9 months old and they laid her in blankets, wrapped them tightly, like a tight swaddle, and they have a head restraint made from foam that still allows them to see. (btw, that broke my heart, my poor baby was SO scared and she kept looking at me like "mom! help!!") They used a similar method for my ds when he was a baby for an x-ray, just wihtout the head restraint. Funny that they can swaddle the baby for most other procedures or let the parents hold them, to help keep baby more comfortable, but they have to force a newborn spread eagle for a circ.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I sent them an email asking them to remove it.

I received two replies from different folks and they both stated that they agreed with me and that some CNMs asked them to stock it.

As you have all noticed, they removed it.

·
Registered
684 Posts
They removed it! Yay yay!

I had been going to subscribe to the Compleat Mother magazine but their ordering system routes through the birthwithlove site, and I did not want to contribute in any way to a company that would sell those. I wrote to the Compleat Mother contact person about this issue, but never got a response. So glad to see I can subscribe to a magazine I love to read now!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.