Mothering Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Dexter is here!
Baby Dexter made it in June! Big surprise to me. He was 40w5d. Born at 12:12am, June 29th. 8lb8oz and 21" long.

And the story. (And there are some not pleasant parts!)

Sunday morning, the 28th, I had my first "real" contraction, about 4:30am. It woke me up from sleep, it was painful, and in my back. All day I had sporadic contractions and pinkish discharge. I also had a bit of fluid leak around 6:30am, but it wasn't much at all. The contractions were all painful and in my back. I knew not as painful as they were going to get, but definitely needed to think about most of them. They were so random, ranging from every 30 minutes to every 5 minutes. They seemed to be triggered by baby's movement or my own. I was in touch with my midwife all day.

Around 7pm, my family and I went for a walk and over the 30 minutes I had like 6 contractions. When we got back, I decided to make myself something to eat, and I had like 4-5 more contractions in that next half hour. I couldn't eat through them, and I didn't really want to talk to anyone. At 8pm, I laid down and I absolutely had to stand up and get counter pressure through the next three or four contractions. At 8:30 I called my midwife and we decided it was show time. Shortly after that I had a bunch of contractions as my husband and I finished getting everything out and ready for the homebirth. He would put counter pressure on my back through them. I was even moaning through them and remembering how much more they were going to hurt! I did not have a good attitude about the paint his time around!

Midwives arrived, my parents arrived, and we settled in. I think around 10:30pm or so, I asked to be checked. After I made sure my midwives were sure I was making progress. I was a 6cm, +1, and 90% effaced. Phew. My last baby it took about 2 hours from that point, so I knew it would be over soon.

The contractions were SO strong. Besides the immense back pain, I felt like I was being pummeled really, really low every contraction. (Dexter has both hands up by his face pretty much all the time, so I'm assuming that's what I was feeling during those contractions, his little hands moving around).

I was a bit nauseous through the whole thing, which I didn't care for. Around 11:45ish, the contractions started getting pushy feeling, I could tell when my moans changed to grunty-pushy sounds. I had a few more contractions in that position trying to squat through them and get him to descend more. I was also very crabby at this point and not in the mood to joke much anymore.

I got on the bed to start the pushing phase. I needed to be on my hands and knees again, so I wasn't able to watch him be born. OMG, the pushing was so hard. The pushing contractions lasted SO long. I was exhausted. And feeling like I was going to puke (but I never did). His birth was by far the most painful coming out. As he was crowning, in addition to my swearing and moaning, I remember clearly saying that I was giving up and I wasn't going to push him out. I screamed for the first time ever in labor because it just hurt so, so bad. (I'm telling you, I was not as well mentally prepared for the pain!) After his head was out they both kept telling me to keep pushing, so no rest in there. It took a bit more work to get him out. Way more than I planned on. I think his heart was deceling through delivery, but I wasn't paying too much attention to that as I was busy yelling and screaming.

At 12:12am he came out pretty perfect. I was able to hold him right away and their only concern with him was his respirations were a bit too high. He stayed in the 60s/minute until a few hours had passed, then he was down to the 40s where they wanted him.

My midwife ended up staying the night because she was concerned over baby's breathing and my bleeding. I had three big gushes after delivering the placenta. I knew they weren't normal, based on my previous births. I was still feeling pretty good though. But, I was a bit concerned. They gave me a shot of pitocin. My uterus was hard and firm, so I still don't quite understand why I had all the bleeding. We got settled into bed around 1:45am. From 2:20 - 2:45, I had very painful strong contractions with big gushes every 5 minutes. I decided to get up to go pee and noticed my pants and everything were soaked in blood. As soon as I stood up I felt multiple huge clots come out. I took another step and decided to get down on all fours so that I wouldn't faint. I started crawling to the bathroom and called for my midwife. We made it there and she had me lay down. I was pretty weak and dizzy at that point. But I was quite coherent and asking lots of questions about what was going on and at what point we would need to get more concerned or transfer. I passed more clots and lots more blood while on the floor. I drank an emergen-c and another bottle of water. Eventually I crawled back to bed. My BP was 100/62 at that point. Also, baby got the all clear, so that was good!

I think my timeline is getting a bit fuzzy now, but I ended up having 3 total pitocin shots (max she could give me, before we would transfer). I was up another time with lots more blood. I wanted to eat, so I had a banana at one wake up and a yogurt at another. After my third trip to the bathroom, my BP was back to my normal. I got in a few more bits of sleep before the kids all started waking up.

So, recovery is a lot different for me this time. I need to actually stay in bed! I am feeling better today, more just exhausted birth exhausting, rather than blood-loss light-headedness. My midwife said I lost quite a bit of blood and will need to make sure I stay in bed as much as possible this week, take iron supplements, and eat lots of nourishing foods.

Oh, the most awesome news though. No burning when I pee! No stitches for the first time! Woot! I have no idea how that happened since it was by far the worst feeling coming out and I've needed stitches in the same spot every other time.

I bought some adult diapers this time, and I'm so glad I did. I definitely recommend them! It was even nicer though with all the bleeding, because I put a huge pad in the diaper and it was easier to keep the blood contained.

Okay, not sure if I missed anything, but there it is. I should probably go get some more rest now.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Congratulations!!! What a birth story, you are one strong mama! I cannot imagine having to push with both of his hands up by his face!

I'd love to see a picture of little Dexter, but for now get some rest!!!

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Phew! So glad the bleeding resolved and you didn't have to transfer :) Welcome to the world, Dexter, great work @Emanresu and I second the utility of the adult diapers...was glad to have them on hand here, too ;)

·
Registered
380 Posts
Welcome dexter! What a story. So sorry about the hemmorhage, how are you feeling now? Sounds very scAry! Thank god your midwife had the intuition to stay!
I did have a few stitches this time but no soreness at all.
In that area, at least. Hemmrhoids are another story altogether.
I also agree diapers for myself were my greatest purchase!!!

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm feeling a lot better. Just lack of sleep tired. I do think it's a bit more exhausting because of the blood loss, but it's not horrible. Thankfully I have a lot of help, with my husband off work this week and my family around to help.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Glad you have help!! My friend hAd a post partum hemmorhage on her 4th baby and she said it took a full 2 weeks recovery to feel she had her energy back. Take it easy mama.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Congratulations! That sounds so hard, but you did it!

The pushing was terribly hard for me this time around too, due in part to the fact that he was posterior coming out. I also had more bleeding than usual and felt weaker/dizzier than I had for previous births. I also got a shot of pitocin because of it. Sounds like you definitely had it worse with the bleeding though -- that sounds scary! I hope you're feeling well now and enjoying snuggles with your baby.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Emanresu what a sweet little guy, love his cheeks!! I still can't believe our babies are here!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts