Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never seen upholstery mentioned around here...I am an upholsterer and it is a great WAHB. I do upholstery and teach classes too. I stumbled across this feild and really enjoy it. I had a shop but near the end of my pregnancy I moved it to my garage and get jobs through word of mouth. I feel like upholstery is a dying craft. It is a lot of work but it is environmentally friendly and folks love being able to reclaim a tresured piece of furniture.<br><br>
As strange as this may seem. I feel upholstery has choosen me to help others. I am not sure how but I always think of $$$ making ideas (all natural reclaimed furniture store, uphostery parties, classes, schools,co ops) I know there are so many struggling familiies out there . If this message as sparked any curiosity in you let me know.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Hey that's a great idea!!<br><br>
I have thought about it, I redid my couch top to bottom, and although it was a daunting project, the finished outcome was fabulous!<br><br>
I got some really great green velour type upholstery fabric from a garge sale, and had just barely enough. I bought some super pretty red toned floral print in a really cool textured upholstery fabric for the piping. I had to use a similar shade to do the bottoms of my couch cusions as I only had enough green for the tops, but it looks great, and matches, and the red pulls it all together.<br>
If someone can PM me and let me know how to put a pic up here, I will of my cool couch.<br><br>
My mom helped a lot as she does lots of this kind of work, so that made it a lot easier.<br><br>
How much do you charge? Per peice of per hour?<br><br>
Any other info about it would be great! Thanks!

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The money to be made is pretty good. I bid each piece. I do a upholstered arm chair for 500 dollars in labor maybe 20 hours or so. A couch like the one you described for 700 or so, that labor only. A simple dining room cahir can bring in 25-50 depending on what needs to be done. When I had my shop I sold the fabric too and that brought in more money. Upholstery rates vary depending where you live but a good upholsterer can make 35$ an hour! To start out a good sewing machine and pneumatic staple gun are the most pricey items to buy. Then a collection of hand tools and wala your ready. I think you are very brave to tackle a couch right off the bat...way to go! Let me know if you have more ??

1 - 3 of 3 Posts