Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>We have happily done Montessori for 6 years now (currently with three kids in Montessori -- a first year primary, first grade and third grade lower elementary). Our school goes up to 6th grade, but many kids leave before then (often after 5th to catch the "middle school" entry wherever they go after). Last year they graduated 2 kids from 6th grade.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>My oldest (almost 9) has ADHD and semi-medicated (can't take stimulants) so he is easily distracted and has some issues with getting his work done. His lower elementary teacher has been wonderful and I am very happy with the experience he has had there. But this is his last year in that room and I am wondering whether continuing on is a good idea or not. what is the work like in upper elementary? Does it get more self-directed (which is sometimes hard for him)? His favorite work right now is report writing, but he struggles a bit in math. He's a great reader but lacks some basic understanding of grammar -- I was surprised to learn he thought he could put a period in the middle of a phrase and make two sentences! He wants to continue but that is largely because he thinks his two best friends are going on (I don't know for sure yet whether that is the case or not).</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I know I have time to make this decision yet, but I was just wondering what people's experience is with the upper grades and whether it would be a good fit for a kid like mine? Tomorrow is parent teacher conferences and they often ask, even this early, what our intentions are for the coming year.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Thoughts?</p>

·
Registered
85 Posts
<p>My suggestion is to have lengthy conversations with the upper el teachesr.  Our transitions were not fantastic.  Part of it was that expectations were more in 4th relative to first grade and unless you were very specific as to needs and expectations, not all teachers Montessori or not, get each child's learning style especially when there are big differences and needs.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>It gets easy having the same teacher for 3 years especially when they are fantastic.  We tend to forget the adjustments from first grade as well as the many developmental changes that have taken place.  Most definitely talk to upper el at great length and decide whether you see the commitment to doing the extra things to help your child be successful. There was a lot more self-directed work and it was easy to not make the same great progress we saw in lower el - he was gently pushed towards his progress in that this child that needed more structure than most others at this stage, well his sister at least.  So talk and see if you will be able to work together for a succesful upper el career, working towards the more self-directed.  Not all 4th graders have an easy time whether it is due to harder work or greater expectations to independence.</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Good luck.</p>

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
<p>My dd is 11 and in upper.She dislikes all subjects,lol. She gets her work done though.And they also get weekly homework.Research reports are done in our upper M,so your son would like that.They progress in math,but my dd is lagging.Times tests are annoying as she gets low scores.The teachers don't harp on my dd,but at the same time they are not keen on doing to many one one one lessons either.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>If your upper teachers are good with helping a student learn their lessons then that would be good.In our case you get one group lesson and then you are on your own...or you ask a classmate for help.Sad I pay so much money to have kids teaching my kid,but that is one of the things about M(older helping younger). I know I will have to help my dd  at home to learn some things. I don't think you can really know if it is a good fit unless you give it a try. Best wishes!</p>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts