Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heya there, I've got a 14yo DS who is very motivated in math, loves using Saxon, does his own lessons, teaches/tests himself, the whole nine yards. Anyways, he's just taken the math placement test to try and get into Algebra 1. He scored JUST at the bottom/minimum guideline for the book, would probably benefit from the Algebra 1/2 scope to be most successful in Algebra 1, BUT I know Saxon does a great job of reviewing concepts so maybe it's not a biggie? He's just plowed through Math 76 and tested out of 87. On the placement scoring it says he could either do Alg 1/2 if he's an 'average student' or Alg 1 if he's 'advanced'. Hmmm. Well he's in 7 or 8th grade and he's only used a curriculum for two years total in his LIFE (he found it at a booksale and BEGGED for it...only a homeschooler would understand THAT one LOL), so I have *no* idea if he'd be 'average' or 'advanced'? He's excited about the prospect of starting Alg 1, but my biggest concern is that he'd sink fast and get discouraged, losing his enthusiasm for this awesome endeavor he's undertaking. At the same time, I don't want it to be too easy? He's so excited....I'm so proud of him!<br><br>
Side note: I do already have the Alg 1 curric, I'd have to find the Alg 1/2 one, so it'd be great if Alg 1 would work, but that is TOTALLY the wrong motivation to just plunk him into it LOLOL!<br><br>
Bellevuemama

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
no experience yet, but my almost 10 year old loves math to and is working in saxon 54 but tested right on the line for the next one up but we had 54 on loan from a friend so we are using that, i think she could go the next book just fine but since this is my first time teaching her we started off "easy" anyway thats nothing to do with you.<br>
I think i would just start him in the algebra 1, you have it already... i say let him do it and if he isn't getting it then tell him not to stress and go down to the 1/2 ... that just seems like what would work.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts