Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>I'm nearly 36 weeks along and for a few weeks I've had pain in my upper right abdomen - right under my rib cage.  I worried for a while that it was my liver but then decided that it was probably just baby feet pushing in an overcrowded area of my abdomen.  Usually when it's really bothering me (kind of a burning sensation) I try to sit or stand up really straight and kind of massage the area as best I can and that helps a little.  This is why I think it's just muscle or ligament pain.  But for the past couple of days, in addition to this pain, my back has been killing me!  My back pain is kind of all over my mid to upper back, but there's a spot on the right side (a little lower than my bra strap) that's worse than the rest and where I think the pain is radiating from.  Again, I have some relief if someone massages/pushes hard on the area.  But since last evening, not much else helps.  And earlier when I was sleeping on my right side I was awakened twice by the baby kicking in the upper right area - it hurt! </p>
<p> </p>
<p>So I'm still a little worried that it's my liver causing an issue, but in doing a little reading I've realized that it could also maybe be my gallbladder??  Has anyone experienced something similar?  This is my thrid pregnancy and I had pre-e with my first so I'm a little overly anxious about developing pre-e or HELLP.  I don't have any unusual swelling or bp issues as far as I know (haven't checked in a couple of weeks since my last appt.)  I've read that liver pain from HELLP is excruciating and I wouldn't say this is excruciating.  At it's worst I would compare it to menstrual cramps that just won't go away (I wondered at one point if the back pain was early labor, but I'm sure it's much too high to be that!)  It was bad enough that I gave in and took one extra strength tylenol before bed - that and a LOT of pillow support finally enabled me to go to sleep (I could still feel the discomfort, especially in my back, but it helped enough to get me to sleep).  Again, I'm sure real liver pain wouldn't be relieved so easily. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Does anyone have any thoughts?  My next appt. isn't until the 29th.</p>

·
Registered
14,239 Posts
Upper right pain like you describe says gallbladder to me. Do you still have yours? Gallbladder issues in pg is actually not unusual for whatever reason pg seems to bring on gallbladder pain if stones are present.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<p>Yes, I still have mine.  I've never had any problem with it, whatsoever.  I've also heard, here and there, that gallbladder problems can show up during pregnancy, but because I never had any reason to suspect it, I really don't know much about gallbladder problems.  I'll do some more research to see what I can find out.  Thanks for the input!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>p.s. Since my original post, I took my bp -it's 115/84 so I'm less worried that this is a liver issue.  I still wish it would go away though!</p>

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
<p>Its gallbladder. I have two stones in my GB..they were supposed to remove my gb 2 years ago but I wouldnt let them..just for two small stones. I always manage it with diet and exercise. But if I eat something that flares it up....I have the pain. Its not bad pain, just annoying. Had it yesterday for a while. If I eat popcorn too much or too many nuts or drink soda it flares it up sometimes. Try to avoid these types of foods if you haven't been and see if that helps. Also you can drink apple cider vinegar and that helps with the pain too.</p>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts