Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We eat healthy already, but I'm making small changes to eat more traditional foods. I can't afford the raw milk, but one change I'm working on is replacing the fats and avoiding anything hydrogenated. Well, I was going to make homemade tortillas, which call for lard. On the ingredients list, it says hydrogenated lard! I checked multiple stores to no avail. What's the deal? Can I make tortillas with butter, or will they not stretch properly?

·
Premium Member
14,677 Posts
Butter really isn't going to act the same. But any other oil should work. Particularly CO if you have it.<br><br>
And yes, pretty much all grocery store lard contains trans-fats. You need to get your lard from a butcher, render it yourself, or if you have access to a Mexican restaurant/deli that makes their own chicharrones or carnitas, you can check with them.

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
Yeah, I think good lard is generally only available direct from the farmer. I can buy some here from the food co-op or at the farmers market.

·
Registered
626 Posts
For mail-order, I've heard good things about <a href="http://www.dietrichsmeats.com/freshlard.htm" target="_blank">these guys</a>, but obviously there's the issue of shipping cost. The last price I saw quoted was $2.50 a pound (you have to call them and send a check).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts