Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My cousin had her baby 11 days ago and really wants to breastfeed but is having problems. I'm trying to talk to her each day to offer encouragement and information. But I need some more advice, here's a list of questions/issues that I need help on:

1) Good bfing book that is very, very simple to read. Her reading level is not high. I think the Sears book is a bit much for her.

2) Advice on how to nurse lying down for someone with very large breasts. She is using the football hold because the her son is having difficultly breathing in the cradle hold.

3) She has already started supplementing, I've told her to start bfing the baby more and her supply will increase naturally. Any more advice on increasing supply.

4) Left nipple is bleeding and nipples are in a lot of pain leading to being discouraged about bfing. Any advice on overcoming the initial pain. I've told her to leave bf on the nipples, cabbage leaves and to use lanolin.

Advice and suggestions would be much appreciated. I should also add that unfortunately I live across the country from her so all I tell her has to be over the phone and cannot be demonstrated in person.

Many thanks!

·
Registered
11,770 Posts
She should call her local La Leche League leader right away. I would post the links for you but my browser is acting funky. If you go to www.lalecheleague.org and go to the USA part, you will find a link to LLL in her state. An LLL leader will help her for free.

She should also get an IBCLC (board certified lactation consultant) to help her. If you go to www.iblce.org and look on the left hand side you will see a link to the US regional registry and can find an LC in her area. It will cost less than a month's worth of formula to get in and get some professional help, so if she says she can't afford it remind her of how much it will cost to formula feed for a year or maybe you can help her out.

www.kellymom.com/bf is a great site for her if she has internet access.

I have heard So That's What They're For is a great book that's not complicated but I haven't read it myself.

She may not be ready to tackle nursing lying down yet. I didn't get the hang of it for several months. She needs to focus on establishing nursing in whatever position works first before working on new positions. A breastfeeding pillow may really help her out - I really like the My Brest Friend pillow, and Boppys are also commonly available. I have also read that for mamas with large breasts, a handtowel rolled up and put under the breast to support it can be really helpful.

She really needs to get the baby at the breast with a good latch to get and keep her supply up. This is why I think she needs some in-person help from an LLL leader and/or an IBCLC. If you go to kellymom.com and look in the Newman handouts there are some great pages with pictures on getting a good latch and keeping up supply.

The bleeding left nipple makes me think the baby's latch is not good. Cabbage leaves are for engorgement, not bleeding nipples, and will reduce supply so have her stop those. Breastmilk is good for healing. I would stop the lanolin because with broken skin it can promote a yeast/thrush infection. Olive oil is soothing, safe for baby, and doesn't promote yeast, so she could use that. She can also take ibuprofen for the pain, but the main thing is to get some help so her baby will latch better and not damage her nipples!

HTH!

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
My SIL is an IBCLC and I know she would be more than happy to talkk to her on the phone, it would just cost her the long distance. Let me know if she wants me to put them in touch.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
at_astrophe - If you could please pass me the number of your SIL that would be great. Our gift to the baby is to help my cousin through this, i.e., hiring LC, etc.

I've tried LLL however I've never had luck with them. When I was having difficulties I called many of the leaders in my area and not one of them called me back. I called and left a message for the leader in her area, hopefully they will give me a call.

I'll tell her to not try the cabbage leaves but to try the olive oil instead. I guess I got lucky with nursing lying down and forgot that it can be difficult.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
10,142 Posts
Breastfeeding Pure and Simple by Gwen Gotsch is easier to read than some, it covers the first few months. The LLL catalog has some bf videos and may have books on tape if that would help. But it does take a while to get stuff. You could call them in Schaumburg Illinois and ask for the catalog dept. (And maybe let them know your leaders never call back!)

http://www.lalecheleague.org

Info about large breasts here (and there's probably more at kellymom.com)

http://www.plus-size-pregnancy.org/N...ndowedFAQ.html

·
Registered
830 Posts
For books
Breastfeeding Pure and Simple is good. It still has some upper grade language,though.
Why Should I Nurse My Baby? by Pamela Wiggins is an easy to read book. It can be found in the LLL Catalog and through many WIC offices. I have a copy I'd be glad to give to your SIL,just LMK

The LLL catalog offers several other books/comics in the easy to read format.
You can also go to www.noodlesoup.com They are geared mainly to proffessionals,but they have a GREAT selection of easy to read materials that you can pick and choose from.

Your SIL can log on to the LLL chats. They are hosted by LLL Leaders. Obviously,they can't help with latch issues via the computer(can't *see* what is going on),but they can give her information and support. They may even be able to help get her in touch with a Leader in her Area.
www.lalecheleague.org/chat/chat.html

HTH

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I found a LC in my cousin's area and paid her a home visit. She has stopped supplementing and nursing away! Seems she has a proper latch now and her nipples are not as sore.

I've ordered her some of the books recommended. The websites have also been helpful - she doesn't have web access but I've been passing information on to her.

Many thanks to everyone for all the information. My cousin is so happy have gotten the help she needed so she can get off to the right start.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I have a little more time to type now, so I can relate my experience. I, too have large breasts and thought we would never get the side lying position. I eventually got the cradle hold with him on a boppy, and using my hand to support my breast (the rolled up towel idea is great, though.) From there, I gradually reclined myself onto a pillow and rotated so that he was beside me. I would keep my upper body propped up slightly, and we were able to do it. Now that he is bigger, and my breasts are less engorged, we have no trouble. Good luck. I PMed you my SIL's number.

·
Registered
9,290 Posts
You are an awesome cousin giving an awesome gift.

I have large breasts and the first time I got my dd to latch on the first time (she was about a week old) while lying down. I found it easier b/c to latch sitting, it seemed like I needed 3 hands, but lying down, I didn't need to hold her head as much.

Once they get older, it's good b/c I can almost nurse while lying flat on my back. (I know, tmi- but it's true).

·
Registered
11,770 Posts
That's wonderful news!

I think nursing lying down does get much easier as the baby gets bigger and more coordinated...I have small breasts, and a baby with a bad latch, and it was probably a good 4 or 5 months before I could nurse any way except sitting in a chair with my nursing pillow strapped on.

Now we nurse lying down no problem....and if I'm on my back my 13 month old chunky monkey just crawls on top and helps himself! :LOL

I hope your cousin sticks with it....it really does get so much easier with time, practice, and a more mature baby.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts