Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
LOL ok I'm on a mainstream parenting board and in a DD club there. The thing I'm noticing is they are allot more active but allot of the posts are about insecurities
Allot of them don't trust there bodies.

Anyway no real point to this just thought it was kinda funny. Boy I love this board!

·
Registered
236 Posts
I completely agree with you.

I have to say that I am also part of a "mainstream board" and find that the posts are a bit on the immature side. That sounds terribly judgmental, but it has given me a lot of respect for this group.

I have to let the cat out of the bag ... I wasn't looking for a natural birthing site when I happened on this one, and I'm not sure that natural birth is 100% for me, but I am really enjoying the support and advice from this group! And, I think some of the natural stuff is starting to rub off on me!!

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Poep - I found this site a few years ago when I was looking for breastfeeding information. I've learned a lot of other stuff since - it's a cool group of women! Glad you're here with us!

·
Registered
754 Posts
My cousin, who is like 10 years younger than me has a 3 year old. She just raved about this site. She was stranded about 5 states from her parents and struggling to raise her baby right and thank goodness found MDC and had so much support and healthy loving advice. As soon as I found out I was PG I came right on over.

I am grateful for my general distrust and total disdain of authority. It was only a few peoples' stories that helped me jump ship from a 'normal', regulated birth experience. I guess I like owning my own power.

Knowing that without a few lucky incidences, I would have ignorantly waltzed into a hospital birth and likely C-section, I am careful not to judge the mainstreamers. But man, oh, man, I'm glad I'm not in their shoes right now!

edit: I'd better clarify. IMO *everyone* here at MDC has taken their power back by being educated and taking their birth into their own hands-no matter where the birth occurs

·
Registered
236 Posts
Thanks for the warm welcome Soph!

Jude Rose -- why do you think you'd be c-section prone? Being pressured into a c-section is something that really concerns me.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Irrational fear, mostly. Distrust.

I've had female issues in the past that I've put behind me with natural therapies, but western doctors would not.

I also hear so many stories *in my area* of hospitals that only give a mother 4 hours before they induce with picodin. Well, picodin is harsh, not recommended by the World Health Org, and tends to freak the mom out and subsequently the baby's vitals start to go haywire. Therefore, the reason for a CS that the doctors *in my area* have been looking for has arrived.

The reason I highlight 'in my area' is because it really depends on a hospital by hospital basis. Some hospitals allow the moms 17 hours, 9, hours, whatever it takes to have the birth they want. Local customs play a factor.

I suppose eventually someone's going to throw a shoe at me for repitition, but I can't help myself. If you or anyone else reading has intense and deeply ingrained fears, please consider Hypnobirthing. It's very effective to hire a therapist to induce the suggestions, but even just buying the book with the CD's makes a difference for everyone who's used it. http://www.hypnobirthing.com/

I'm having my therapist add the suggestion that I will not become a wild animal if transported to the hospital from my homebirth
, and my midwife promised that she and DH wil advocate for me if necessary.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I am noticing this too, and I am one of the Mainstreamers I guess. I sit here, and none of you have any IDEA, how much I admire each and every one of you for your laidbackness *
* Is that even a word.

I often wanted too post the simple question... Can you help teach me too be less intense with how I feel.

I think mine stems from 8 yrs of suffering Infertility, but I can no longer use that excuse, cause it seems I can now POP
them out, but I do freak on a daily basis, then I try and do some breathing. I think, if I have too be honest is has too do with HAVING NO CONTROL, over something I want too control so badly. I think this is the reason I LOVE it here.. Not much sadness being posted *KWIM* ? Yeah occasional worries or upsets, but nothing on a regular basis.

Even though I am not quite the Mainstreamer anymore, cause I do have my pitfalls, I have also started too learn.. I can not control everything, no matter how badly I would like everything too be *hitch* free so to speak..Just too take things as they come, and try and be as stress free as possible. It's hard too let go of a control issue, but I have too say *PROUDLY* I think I am doing pretty darn good this time around, and it really is thanks too you ladies. I see from your threads how relaxed and go with the flow you are... and it HELPS me ALOT!

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
Believe me, Missy, I spend a vast majority of my day completely freaking out about this baby and the subsequent birth. DD was born at 30wks after a completely normal pregnancy, and I'm scared that my body will fail me again. DH really helps to keep me grounded by reminding me that we made it through once (mostly unscathed...I'm pretty much still a mess 3 months after her birth) and can do it again if that is what's in store for me, and that not having control is not necessarily a bad thing.

That said, I WILL be taking control of my birth situation this time around if at all possible. They will not strap me to a monitor for a week straight and have me flat on my back, and if the nurse comes at me to massage my stomach to "shrink the uterus" back to its "teeny" size again, I very well may smack her.

I've got a question for you mamas out there. Can the pitocin drip that is given to deliver the placenta be refused? I firmly believe my body will do what needs to be done, and the pitocin contractions hurt a hell of a lot worse than my regular labor contractions.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sehbub
I've got a question for you mamas out there. Can the pitocin drip that is given to deliver the placenta be refused? I firmly believe my body will do what needs to be done, and the pitocin contractions hurt a hell of a lot worse than my regular labor contractions.
I don't know the specifics, but I do know that in my situation, my placenta didn't come out for almost 30 minutes. The midwife said that at 30 minutes she was required to get a doctor to help, so I assume that at that point, something would have been done to help it along (I lost a lot of blood in that 30 minutes).

Did they offer you pitocin right away? If so, I'd definitely refuse. If it was after 30 minutes or so, I'd want to know the options other than pitocin.

·
Registered
754 Posts
The picotin can be refused, but it's not a black and white situation. Medical intervention isn't bad, it's merely misused.

Is there anyway you could afford a doula at the labour to help you and your husband advocate for restraint and intelligent decisions? There are times when picotin is a life-saver. Unfortunately, in America especially, it's used as a staple.

Confession: I calmed down about fear with my pregnancy after seeing psychic.
Hey, she's good and she said I was hurting my outcome with all my worries, so I let them go and believe what is meant to be is what will happen.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Yeah. I hung out at one of the other big boards when MDC was down. I kept running across the following sentence over, and over, and over, and over again:

Quote:
Well I only trust the advice of medical professionals.
And, deep down in my core, I don't. I think doctors are out to make money, and that's about it. Especially when it comes to women's health.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by sehbub

Yep and to help your placenta come out Nurse as soon as you can. Also moving around can help and not laying on your back.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
I was on a mainstream board (a couple of them) when I was pg with DS. I only found this board when I was looking for good info on cloth diapering. There is just a different feel here, I can't really describe it but it feels like people here are more centered, and peaceful, and not so obsessed with every little thing. (Although I know ALL of us feel to the contrary at times!!) I don't know, maybe that's not the right way to describe it, but it's just a totally different feel. And I know we disagree about things here too, it's just a nicer place, IMO

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Its not the disagreements just that they ask really wierd questions or make false statments and dont like information ( my mama told me ____ ). I find it odd but I'm a free thinker so I guess I just cant get it

·
Registered
175 Posts
When I was on a mainstream board, the biggest complaint I had was all the drama. Oh, my lands! The DRAMA! I wound up being part of a spin off group that left shortly after the mods formed a prayer circle to pray for group's unborn children. Apparently, they felt that prayer was needed since we weren't going to circ our kids or let medical interventions rule our births.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by poep
And, I think some of the natural stuff is starting to rub off on me!!
Bwwwaaa ha ah haaaaaa haa! That is all a part of our evil natural world takeover plan!

SOmebody help me, I am feeling so punchy today!
:

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by glendora
Yeah. I hung out at one of the other big boards when MDC was down. I kept running across the following sentence over, and over, and over, and over again:

Quote:
Well I only trust the advice of medical professionals.

And, deep down in my core, I don't. I think doctors are out to make money, and that's about it. Especially when it comes to women's health.
Really? That is really sad. confession: this is my only chat board, ever! another confession: I choose homebirth because I am scared of hospital birth/interventions.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
I think I'm pretty lucky, because I really do believe my doc DOES care... she is just so sweet... she doesn't order unnecessary tests, etc and she has a very optimistic point of view on pregnancy/birth. She is way cool. She's willing to work with you too, if you really want/don't want something in particular. I feel lucky to have found her! She's our family doc and is so good with kids, she says she never restrains a child for an exam, because she doesn't think that's good at all... so even if it takes her longer, she'll get on the floor to play and sneak in an ear check, etc. I just love her!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts