Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
I saw this yesterday. Very sad.
:

This is truly tragic. I really hope this study gets some publicity. Unfortunately, the c-section part seems buried at the end after the info about the rise in unwed mothers.

The part about the drop in teen mothers is good, though. Must be all that abstinence education.

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
*sigh* - I can't say as I'm surprise and I'm also a little bit
: that I'm among that 30.2% of women who had a c/s in 2005. Especially since any perusal of records for mine indicate that mine was "patient elected primary c/s".

Quote:
I noticed the preterm birth rate rose too- would this be related to the increased c-section rate
Preterm labor rate went from 12.5 to 12.7 percent while the c/s rate rose 4% from 2004 - ain't no way a .2% increase in preterm labor accounts for a 4% increase in c/s.

For me the most
: part of the results is that since 1996 - less than 10 years the c/s rate has risen 46%! You can't tell me that women's bodies have in a 10 yr timeframe so radically changed to warrant this kind of increase.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I saw that little statistic, like a pp, buried in a story about unwed mothers. Actually, my local paper only printed the part about the unwed mothers and completely left out the c/s rate.

You cannot tell me that over 30% of women NEED to have surgery to deliver babies. My husband was just as ticked off. I am sure that all the VBAC-lash hasn't helped that statistic either. Its just amazing that this statistic keeps rising and people just shrug it off. It just makes me feel like all we are doing is banging our heads against a brick wall.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ndakkitten View Post
I saw that little statistic, like a pp, buried in a story about unwed mothers. Actually, my local paper only printed the part about the unwed mothers and completely left out the c/s rate.

You cannot tell me that over 30% of women NEED to have surgery to deliver babies. My husband was just as ticked off. I am sure that all the VBAC-lash hasn't helped that statistic either. Its just amazing that this statistic keeps rising and people just shrug it off. It just makes me feel like all we are doing is banging our heads against a brick wall.

:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.