Mothering Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>What are your thoughts on using used baby bottles? Is it ok as long as I boil them to sanitize them? I have a few from a friend and a few from my husband's sister.  I know that her last baby (who is now a few months old) had some kind of infection and was in the hospital for a few days. I'm guessing I should probably throw the nipples away though and buy new ones.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>What about a used breast pump? My sister just sent me her Ameda electric pump. I can sterilize just about all of it and buy new pieces for it, but I read bacteria can get into the motor or something. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Thanks!</p>

·
Registered
418 Posts
<p>I think both are fine.  Nipples should be replaced every 4-5 weeks anyway, so you wouldn't want to use used ones anyway.  The bottles should be fine after boiling.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>As for the breast pump.  I have a used PIS Advanced.  Everything that my breast and/or milk touched was replaced.  I don't see how bacteria getting into the motor is likely without having gotten milk into the motor somehow (which would fry the motor anyway).</p>

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
<p>I don't know if this is true of all Amedas or just the hospital-grade ones but they have some sort of patent and milk CANNOT get into the tubing.  So you could replace the parts that touch milk, just in case...or sterilize them if you feel ok with that.  I'm never sure if buying all new parts is overkill but it does seem to be the common suggestion</p>

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
<p> </p>
<div class="quote-container"><span>Quote:</span>
<div class="quote-block">
<div>I don't know if this is true of all Amedas or just the hospital-grade ones but they have some sort of patent and milk CANNOT get into the tubing.</div>
</div>
</div>
<p> </p>
<p>I did read that with this particular pump milk cannot get into the tubing due to the patent.</p>

·
Registered
348 Posts
<p>i used a borrowed one last time w/ DS. it was an older version,b ut double electric. i just replaced all parts as well. i just plan on buying some new tubing, etc this time as well.  i don't know hwo it would get in the motor unless there was some kind of crazy spill/accident-and still that would be very rare.</p>

·
Registered
999 Posts
<p>i used an Ameda borrowed from a friend when i had DD1, and figured if i know the person and trust them, there's no reason not to. like you said you can sterilize everything. i got some Medela microwave sterilizer bags and didn't think twice about it.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>definitely new nipples on the bottles, you'd want that anyway because you have to replace them every couple months regardless. everything else, hey, save your money.</p>

·
Registered
176 Posts
<p>Another thing to consider with a used pump is how much it's been used and how much you plan to use it - most of the single-user electric pumps are only designed to last for a year or so of full time use.  But since you already have one you may as well use it for as long as it's working well for you.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Also, you might want to find out who else has used it.  A friend loaned me her pump when my DS was having trouble getting started nursing (10 months after her DD was born).  I knew she had planned to use it while working full time and ending up weaning before she went back to work, but I didn't know that she had loaned it to a couple of other moms before me, until she wanted to loan it to someone else and couldn't remember which of the people she'd loaned it to still had it.</p>

·
Registered
578 Posts
<p>I am getting glass bottles from my neighbor and I have no problem with that!  I will replace the nipples though.  I would make sure that the bottles are BPA free. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Big Momma</p>

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
The ameda pump is a 'closed system' pump so it's supposed to ok for multiperson use. The PIS is not.<br><br>
I'd have no problem using the bottles/rings/caps. I have even bought these off of craigslist. I would replace the nipples.<br>

1 - 9 of 9 Posts