Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a fetoscope on ebay and it didn't come with any instructions, I can't hear the baby's heartbeat with it (can't hear mine either!) is there some special way to use them? If anyone has any tips that would be great! Thanks!

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
How many weeks are you?<br><br>
My MW can't hear baby with a fetoscope until 20ish weeks.<br><br>
Keri

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
I also used one when I was pregnant. It was really super hard for me to hear a heartbeat even near the end, and when I did I had to push it really hard into my belly.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm 27 weeks, so I should be able to hear it...grr! I guess I'll bring it to my next doc appt and see what she can do! Thanks! (maybe I'll try pushing harder!)

·
Registered
507 Posts
I heard my babe's heartbeat around 24 weeks. A really quiet room helps. I would feel for the baby's position and press deeply in to where I think his upper back is. Sometimes I really had to search around.<br>
Yeah, you do have to push in kinda hard to hear it. How well you can hear it also can have to do with the quality of your fetascope. I have a pretty inexpensive one and could hear way better with my midwife's.

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
the ear pieces should be pointing down your ear canal so usually that is the tubing is rotated back a bit like elephant ears-- the other thing to try once you have the ear pieces in your ears touch the end piece- tap it a bit and move the ear pieces around until you hear it the best/loudest.<br><br>
now place the ear piece over your heart-- can you hear it now? how about hanging open your jaw- open your mouth just a little and relax your face muscles- close your eyes.. or try listening to dp heart beat, put your forehead on the head piece and press in while trying to hear- hands off the tubes and other parts of the fetalscope-- the head piece is conductive hearing and will transmit sound vibrations via bone-<br><br>
if you can hear these sounds now would be the time to try and hear baby--first locate where the baby is laying-- the best place to hear would be back or front between the shoulder blades-- opps got to go more later...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts