Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first pregnancy and we are looking for a midwife. Luckily I live in area with quite a few to choose from. However, I think I may have waited a little late to start contacting them (i'm 10 weeks) so my choices might be limited. One of the ones I've heard back from is relatively new. She got her license in Fall of 2010 and apprenticed two years before that. I will admit I'm slightly nervous about the short amount of time it has been since she got her license. Have any of you had a homebirth with a newer midwife? How did it go? What would your concerns be? She seems like a really sweet person and I can't wait to have my consult with her.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
<p>The mw I am currently using was only licensed a few mos when I hired her.  But I was less concerned with how new her license was than how many births she had attended, and in her case it was a great deal.  She was an apprentice for years, was a doula for years, had traveled abroad to study and attend births.  So for me I would be more looking at how experienced she is and not when she got her license.  Everyone has to start somewhere, someone has to be that first client, etc. </p>

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
<p>Go ahead and meet with her, but interview others as well. I'd imagine you have more options than you think you do as I just recently had four to choose from at 27 weeks for a HBAC and many fewer midwives to HBACs in my state. Did you post on your local tribe for recs? You may be able to get some names too from your Le Leche League.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I'd want to know what emergencies she's handled. I really needed a midwife who has handled a variety of emergencies to know she can face them calmly and competently.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>HTH</p>

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
<p>My midwife is relatively new. She had already completed her training and was waiting for her license to be confirmed when we signed on with her. While she wasn't my only choice, she was the closest by far: 30 minutes vs 2 hours. Proximity was a big factor but I also hit it off with her and felt comfortable. As a PP pointed out everyone starts somewhere. A friend of mine also pointed out that all of her education is likely still quite fresh in her mind.</p>
<p>I haven't given birth yet - hoping for any day now!</p>

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Our MW was new and we had the experience of being her first real emergency. Not an experience I would wish on anybody! Our MW before that was still a student, but had done extensive work abroad and with the Amish, so wasn't really new. I would go with somebody experienced with handling emergencies, if you have a choice. The amount of time they have held the title is irrelevant, but prior experience makes a huge difference.

·
Registered
360 Posts
<p> I agree with PP, I would also go with a midwife with more experience, but that is probably based on my personal experiences. I went with newer midwives during my first pregnancy and while I can't say that had anything to do with the outcome (I transferred and had a c section)  I have always felt that it did, or at least wondered what if? With my second pregnancy I hired a team of midwives (one was very experienced, one was newer) and I absolutely loved my experience with them, ( even though it ended in another transport) and would hire them again in a heartbeat. I was very selective and thorough in my interviews the second time around and asked  a ton of questions, lol!</p>

·
Premium Member
15,952 Posts
<p>I've used a very new MW previously, no regrets at all. I purposely choose her over the MW who had years of experience because she was willing to work with me on things I wanted that were technically beyond a grey area where as the other MWs would only practice according to every letter of the law. Not that I blame them at all  but she had trust in the birth process that they didn't or no longer had. I adore her and always suggest her to moms in my area. So no experience isn't a make it or break it deal for me. </p>

1 - 7 of 7 Posts