Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Mamas,

How have you found the Ergo to work as a front carrier? I am seriously considering buying one for my two month old (he has fairly good head control at this point), and am wondering how well they work as a front carrier for a little guy this age. I would ideally like a carrier I can use around the house, short walks, and while running errands.

I already own a sling, which he likes alright (but not as much as my first son liked it), and a Bjorn, which I'm not thrilled about and haven't really been using.

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
5,233 Posts
I would wait a while before using something that straddles his legs. What type of sling do you have? Kangaroo korner fleece pouches are my fav!!! So warm and snuggly

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a New Native sling.

Thanks for the link for the Kangaroo Pouch! I noticed that they have slings for left-handed folks like me - I've always liked our sling (especially when the babies do
) but felt like it's a little "off" - that I couldn't do very much except walk around while wearing it. Could it be that handedness makes a difference? Would I do better with a left-handed sling?

·
Premium Member
5,038 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by shooflymama View Post
I have a New Native sling.

Thanks for the link for the Kangaroo Pouch! I noticed that they have slings for left-handed folks like me - I've always liked our sling (especially when the babies do
) but felt like it's a little "off" - that I couldn't do very much except walk around while wearing it. Could it be that handedness makes a difference? Would I do better with a left-handed sling?
With the New Native it shouldn't matter if you're left handed or right handed since you can wear it over either shoulder. Wearing it over your left shoulder would probably feel more comfortable, but not necessarily. The New Native is a low-hanging sling, and doesn't feel nearly as snug and secure as a sling like the kangaroo korner pouch, so that might make a difference in your comfort level. Also, i could never manage a tummy to tummy carry with the new native (because it was so low and not snug), and it's easy with the kangaroo pouch.

But, I think an Ergo would work great with a 2-month-old. You'd just need to use the infant insert. With little babies, you don't have their legs straddle you. I see no reason to wait until your babe is older to use one (or any other similar type of carrier, like a mei tai).

HTH!

Lex

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I love both our Ergo and Kangaroo Korner fleece pouch. I agree with the above - a KK pouch is much more snug than other pouches and is truly "hands-free". My ds loves the tummy to tummy hold and has since he was a day old. I don't feel like I need to keep my arm across him like I do with other pouches.

He has very good head control at 7.5 weeks, but I wouldn't put him in the Ergo without the infant insert yet. I'm planning to use the Ergo when he's older. I find the pouch more convenient right now since there are no buckles to secure. I prefer the Ergo for older babies/toddlers for long outings, hiking, etc and the pouch for smaller babies. I'm definitely able to get stuff done around the house with him in the KKAFP.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I just got a Hotslings fleece pouch and LOVE it! It's so snug and snuggly.

The ERGO's are great though and give you a better range of motion. Though at 2 months, you'd need the infant insert or fashion something similar. It's a super great investment that will continue on long after you're done as not many people sell theirs and when they do, they're snatched up real quick. I will not part with my ERGO-- I'm only on dc #1

1 - 6 of 6 Posts