Mothering Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been wondering lately what to do with really wet or stinky cloth diapers and cloth wipes when out. I've been told to just put them in a baggie or whatnot. And while that sounds great, what about when you have a really big poop to deal with and there's no bathroom nearby to scrape it into the toilet?

I mostly plan to EC but use a cloth diaper when we're out. With Orion I used disposables because, well, I didn't know any better. lol But, I really want to use only cloth this time.

I'm trying to learn all I can before the baby comes.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
If I have to change him in the car, like at the farmer's market where the bathrooms are soooo yucky, then I just put the soiled diaper in a bag and tie it up. I just fold it to keep the poop inside the diaper, careful not to get any on the outside print and it's all good. I keep my bags from food and cloths shopping and keep extra ones in the diaper bag or the car. I usually have some tushies wipes in the car or in a bagie in the diaper bag, just for when I don't have access to water. Otherwise, I wet my cloth wipes when I'm in the bathroom changing ds under the tap.

·
Registered
19,261 Posts
www.diaperware.com has wet bags that work really well. That is all we do. Put dirty wipes and dipes in wet bag. I also have a mama pad wet bag that I use for cloth wipes that I wet before we go with water, a wipe solution, or a little tea tree oil. Also put a couple drops of TTO in wet bag for dirty dipes to help with any smell.

·
Registered
6,359 Posts
I've got a wetbag (actually a modified wonderbag) from Happy Tushies. I put all of ds's dirty dipes in there when we're on the go. I must luck out because when ds has a big poop, I'm nearish to a toilet to dump most of it out before putting in the wetbag. And to wet ds's wipes (at home and away) we just use a spray bottle.

·
Premium Member
15,484 Posts
I have a soiled diaper bag that came with my diaper bag that has a zipper. I've never smelled it in my purse or diaper bag from there. Sometimes I've used disposable wipes rather than trying to find a sink, but lately I haven't had those and it hasn't been a problem.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
We use just a regular wet bag and throw it all in there. Usually I can find a decent bathroom to dump the poop in, but if not I just put it all in there together and wait until I get home. I keep extra grocery bags in my diaper bag, so if it's an extra stinky one I'll bag it in the grocery bag, then put it in the wetbag. No oder problems here.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
I have a wetbag that I made with some PUL that I bought.

I just tuck the wipes into the diaper and then fold the diaper up with the poop inside. Then when I get home I just dump it in the potty and toss the diaper in the pail.

HTH!

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Zippered PUL bags are the best. I love my large one from Happy Tushies.

I also carry cloth wipes, and just use a peri bottle that I filled with wipe solution (or just water if I am lazy) and spray that on a wipe.

This system works great for me, even with two in dipes.

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Jessie - We CD full-time, and I haven't found it a problem at all to use CDs and CWipes while out. I second the recommendation for zippered pouches. My diaper bag (Lands' End) came with one of them, but I see others posted links. For the wipes, I have a little bottle of California Baby Diaper Area Wash, but they cost too much (I go through them too quickly), so in the future, I'll fill up the empty bottles with my own wipes blend.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
For a messy poop I just put the used cloth wipes in the diaper, and close the whole diaper back up and put it in a wetbag, or plastic grocery bag and tie it. Then I put that in the zipper pouch in my diaper bag. No smells or leaks get out of that. I deal with the mess when I get back home.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
I don't have a wetbag, or even a diaper bag really. If we have a change when we're out and about, I just fold up the diaper and tuck it into a corner of the car/stroller/bag. If we'll be out for a long time I might bring a plastic grocery bag, if I'm organized enough. If we're near a bathroom I'll take care of any poo there, if not it can just wait until we get home.

·
Registered
951 Posts
I keep a little squirt bottle to wet wipes with. I have a bumkins diaper tote that I like -but it is drawstring and doesn't close easily. I usually put wet dipes directly in the wetbag, stinky toddler dipes go into a plastic grocery bag first then the wetbag. Then it doesn't smell.

·
Registered
779 Posts
It has rarely happened, but in the instance that there is not a clean enough restroom around, and I have to change in the car, I just put the diaper in a wet bag and stick in the trunk.

There was a time that she pooped when we were on a LONG walk. I just stuck the diaper in the wet bag and carried it around. I didnt' smell anything, so it wasn't a big deal.

Really, I have travelled using cloth etc, and never bothered with disposables. Cloth is easier than it sounds. And, if you are doing EC, it will be even easier. There is no reason to ever use a disposable diaper.

Teri

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I usually use disposable wipes and a Happy Tushies wet bag. I like to have one in the car or van and one in my diaperbag. I usually diaper him in the car or van so I'll just leave it in there. If I am out I put it in my wetbag in my diaperbag then take it out when I get back to the car. Smells are usually not a problem

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You guys are all so wonderful! You gave me so many ideas. I'm going to try to make my own wetbag (have to find the right material though. What's PUL?) and I can buy a spray bottle to put something in. I had found a site that mentioned how to make your own disposable wipes. I can just use the solution they have on that for the spray bottle to use with the cloth wipes.
It's basically baby shampoo and water.

Thank you all so much!

·
Registered
7,801 Posts
I just have a wetbag that has a cord you pull shut and it works just fine. I just fold the dipe up pretty well. i find sometimes the poo comes off easier when it has sat awhile anyway from being out

Gross, I know- but true

I have never smelled anything from this type of wetbag, unless I don't close it up fully....
For wipes, I just take a spray bottle of diluted( a small glass spray bottle)wash +water for my hands or after eating. Plus, I take a peri bottle of water stuck in an outside3 pocket of my diaper bag, and a spray bottle of full strength wipes solution. I always wet a wipe w/water, then spray the babe once or twice with spray. I don't find it hard. Pretty easy. Plus, if I ever need it while out, I've got enough solution to clean everybody down!

·
Registered
6,729 Posts
Fortunately my son usually poops at the same time in the morning, so we do not have them out and about.

But I just leave the poop in the diaper if there is no toliet or outside garbage can. If we are far outdoors, we dig a hole and bury it. I just wrap it up in the wet bag.

Same with cloth wipes. I can just soak them as soon as we get home. If you are concerned about smell you can always keep a piece of fabric/washcloth with Bac Out, baking soda, or EO on it as a way to cover any smells.

·
Registered
6,729 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by amethystrse
You guys are all so wonderful! You gave me so many ideas. I'm going to try to make my own wetbag (have to find the right material though. What's PUL?) and I can buy a spray bottle to put something in.
PUL is a polyur-something plastic, Fuzzi Bunz and Wonderoos are PUL. www.babiesinthesun.com has Bummis totes with the drawstring neck, and that is what I use. If you want to buy PUL try www.fabriconnection.com , www.fabricfarm.com and there is one called diaper sew shoppe or something.

If you knit www.woolywonder.com has a free wool, knitted wetbag that is SO cute.

Quote:
I had found a site that mentioned how to make your own disposable wipes. I can just use the solution they have on that for the spray bottle to use with the cloth wipes.
It's basically baby shampoo and water.
I just take dry wipes, and wet the down
: I do not even mess with wipe solution and all. I like to take as little as possible out with me since I am usually without a stroller, walking, on the subway or the bus. So I take a few diapers and a few wipes and that is it!

Plus my son gets so dirty while we are out, I always dunk him in a bath after we get home and clean him well

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.