Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Mamas,
I am in the midst of a quandry and I am hoping you can help me figure this out. We currently have a queen size bed in a not-so-big bedroom. We originally thought we'd use the pack & play sidecar'd to the bed as our bassinet when Owen was brand new. However, the thing was HUGE and there was no room in the bedroom when we put it in there. We found a Mini Co-Sleeper at Me N' Moms that has worked like a charm. In fact - at 10 1/2 months we are still using it.

The time for the mini co-sleeper is nearly at an end. Owen stands and pulls up to standing but does not yet push himself up to sitting. So far, since its right up against the bed, this has not been an issue. However, we are fast moving to the place where its going to be a problem.

Andrew is not wild about the idea of moving Mr. O into bed with us full time. (I think he still has dreams that I will one day have a sex drive again! :LOL ) He is afraid that if we move him in with us completely he'll never leave. I know that's not true but its not a debate I'm winning so I am trying to come up with a work-around.

I need to figure out what to do... I still want Owen in our room and at this point he is waking to nurse at least twice per night. Sidcarring his big crib to our bed is not possible - its even bigger than the pack & play... Buying a king bed is too spendy and doesn't address Andrew's concerns so that's out... I found this co-sleeper which looks super cool although it might be too big for our space I'm not sure: http://www.armsreach.com/product_sleigh.asp

I was wondering what experience you mamas have with quasi co-sleeping in a space-limited environment.

Thanks so much!!
Jenn

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I had a good converstaion with DH tonight about this issue. He says that basically he just needs to know that we're not setting ourselves up for horrible drama later and that Owen will transition to his own space at some point. He's ok with everything as long as we continue to use to co-sleeper and as long as we aren't going to end up in hell because he can't sleep in another room. Can anyone help me asuage his fears?

Thanks!!
:

·
Registered
54 Posts
What about putting your mattress on the floor with a single futon or even crib mattress beside it? You could even get a custom made foam mattress to put beside it. That would give you all a bit more space.

We do that and we have as very small bedroom. In fact our bedroom is really one big mattress right now! :LOL I do have to laugh though, anytime that toddlers visit our house they gravitate to our bedroom and the mattresses. It's like one big playroom! I don't think there's a way to reassure your husband that your child won't have difficulty transitioning to their own space. There are gentle ways to encourage your child to do that, but I think alot has to do with their temperment and needs. I would argue that you can't make your child be independent. The more secure and loved they feel the more likely they will be independent. THere are many great books on the family bed which might convince him.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I used an origional arms reach co sleeper and it was the size of a pack and play, I haven't seen this wood one but the one thing that I noticed looking at the pictures is how far down the baby matress is compared to your matress. For me it would be hard to grab my baby and nurse him if he was that much lower..

I guess it's a saftey thing..

It's really pretty though!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.