Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was treating some yeast issue with a clove of garlic internally and yogurt externally. i had the garlic in for 24hrs and went to remove it last night and about had a heart attack when i discovered it hiding *in* my cervix(i'm 2-3cm and very soft and short). i had to milk my cervix to get it out. i'm not using the garlic anymore and i wasn't having any contractions because of it. i'm more worried that i could maybe get an infection from it. is this something i should be concerned about? i'm 38w1d as of today and i see my midwife tomorrow and i'll be asking her too.

·
Premium Member
8,105 Posts
Being as powerfully antimicrobal as it is, I find it hard to believe that you'd get an infection. Of course that's totally pulled out of the air, not from any evidence...but really, as we use it to fight soooo many things, I would find it hard to believe that you'd then get an infection from it.

On another note, I'd be careful using yogurt for yeast. The milk sugars in it can actually feed the yeast...they love sugar!

If it's just external, I'd ask your midwife as to whether she thinks grapefruit seed oil would be safe? That has a better track record killing off yeast, from what I remember. I don't know, though, whether it's mild enough to use on your genital tissues...there's gentian violet, as well, again, you'd have to do research or ask as to whether it's safe externally during pregnancy.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the response. i figured the garlic wouldn't really hurt anything since it is a antimicrobial like you mentioned. i've heard of grapefruit seed oil but have never tried it. i forgot about the sugars in the yogurt. even though i got plain i just checked and it's got 17g of sugar per serving. i think i'll stick with my peri bottle and vinegar rinse until tomorrow and ask what else she'd recommend.

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
garlic can be a strong irritant though and I have seen burns/erosions caused by garlic--I know women who choose to use it but I would not recommend using it-

you can use live culture yogurt vaginally too and yogurt sex is a decent way to apply it---

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.