Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got 3 large bags of frozen BM in my deep freezer, and another bag in my mom's refrigerator freezer, but it's all over 6 months old now. (I was pumping up a storm before going back to work last June, and saving the stash in case anything happened to my supply when I went back to work.)

Should I throw it all out, or could I still use it? What's the worst that could happen if my 18 mo drinks too-old BM?

· Registered
4,450 Posts
Same question, same situation. I pumped a ton last May and early June, and I **** have some. Today I freaked out when I talked to my mom on the phone from work b/c she was warming some of it up for dd. I told her it was too old. So sorry, no answer, but I'll be waiting for one, too!

· Registered
16,471 Posts
If it's in deep freeze I believe it's okay for a long time. I have some that has been stored at 0 degrees since Nitara was 7 weeks old. I still thaw some for sometimes and so far no bad reactions. I would only be concerned that it would taste funny. But since Nitara is tube fed she doesn't care.

Darshani

· Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think I may be pregnant again, because my supply seems to be totally gone. My DS has been nursing all night (my poor nipples), and I just pumped today and only got 1 oz -- usual output is 2.5-3.5 oz. (I hadn't pumped over the holidays, just got back to work today.)

I'd like to be able to use the old BM to supplement the soy milk that he's also drinking (Vanilla So Good, which is 8% fat, plus rice milk as well) but I'm not sure that the BM is still good.

Here's hoping that someone has an answer for us!

· Registered
16,471 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by wenat
I think I may be pregnant again, because my supply seems to be totally gone. My DS has been nursing all night (my poor nipples), and I just pumped today and only got 1 oz -- usual output is 2.5-3.5 oz. (I hadn't pumped over the holidays, just got back to work today.)

I'd like to be able to use the old BM to supplement the soy milk that he's also drinking (Vanilla So Good, which is 8% fat, plus rice milk as well) but I'm not sure that the BM is still good.

Here's hoping that someone has an answer for us!
Ooooh let us know soon. Maybe she's just going through a growth spurt so you are more drained than usual.

Darshani

· Registered
262 Posts
As long as the milk has been stored at 0 degrees it should be ok for a year.WE freeze in 3 or 4 ounce lots here and then add an ounce or so of fresh milk to the frozen when its needed so the antibody protection meets current needs.
you can also freeze in an ice cube tray which makes about 1 ounce cubes. When the tray is full pop the cubes in a sealable plastic bag ( we store these in an opaque container)
As milk 'ages" it may loose some of its nutritients so its a good idea to recycle it every few months so as to have a stash in case of emergency.
Old/bad are relative and do not mean spoiled.Sadly, outdated formula gets shipped to foreign countries for use by the not so fortunate there as it too looses some nutrients as time goes by but is still a useful food source.
You can use your aging milk for cereal,puddings or a feeding a day without harming baby's overal nutrition.
If you have lots there is a gal who does Mom to Mom milk exchanges for those with adopted babies or childen with long term needs for human milk who would love to hear from you if donating is an option...

· Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the reply, mum2_4. I think we'll start using the old stash as you say, one baggie a day just so that it does get used up for him.

My big news -- yes, I got a positive pg test this morning, so that totally explains the lack of supply right now. I'll try to nurse through the pregnancy, and then he can have a fresh supply in 9 months or so.

· Registered
1,381 Posts
We have a deep freeze, and I have used milk that's 13 and 14 months old. To me, it's far better than cow's milk.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.