Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is so very sad, on many different levels.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/latimests/20...lylifetheyknew

Gideon is one of the "Lost Boys," a group of more than 400 teenagers - some as young as 13 - who authorities in Utah and Arizona say have fled or been driven out of the polygamous enclaves of Hildale, Utah, and Colorado City over the last four years.

His stated offenses: wearing short-sleeved shirts, listening to CDs and having a girlfriend. Other boys say they were booted out for going to movies, watching television and staying out past curfew.

Authorities say the teens aren't really being expelled for what they watch or wear, but rather to reduce competition for women in places where men can have dozens of wives.

"It's a mathematical thing. If you are marrying all these girls to one man, what do you do with all the boys?" said Utah Atty. Gen. Mark Shurtleff, who has had boys in his office crying to see their mothers.

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
A saw a docu on this topic not too long ago. My heart goes out to these outcasted young men and women. Hopefully, one day these women inside these fundie LDS sects will wise up and realize that they and their children and not property of some man, being traded or thrown out on some man's whim.

·
Registered
6,187 Posts
Unfortunately, the women are so incredibly sheltered from the reality of the outside world that it's pretty unlikely they'll escape. They have very poor if any education, no knowledge of what good the outside world might hold, and their entire lives they've been indoctrinated into the idea that the outside world is pure, literal evil. They have no skills to take to the outside world, no knowledge of where to go, and a deeprooted fear of outside people. They have no concept that these "evil" people out there might consider their situation to suck and be willing to help them. It breaks my heart. That kind of brainwashing from birth is one thing that really kills me...

·
Banned
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by gethane

Those teenage boys yearning to see their mom is breaking my heart.

Me too gethane. I can't comprehend being so brainwashed I'd sacrifice my child.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.