Mothering Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Utah ladies! How's everyone doing? I just wanted to make a check-in thread to see how everyone is, and what you're doing to stay sane when this snow keeps coming back! (grumble grumble)
:

So, how are ya?

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Figured I'd respond to my own question.
I'm doing well. This stupid snow is driving me nuts. DD (2yo) wants to go outside so badly and color with sidewalk chalk, but it doesn't work when it's been raining/snowing all day. BUT I'm getting more sleep, as she's fairly well night-weaned (even fell asleep without asking to nurse last night)!

I have grand ideas for reworking our flower beds and getting all sorts of veggies planted, but it has to wait until there's not snow or a major (freezing cold) mud pit in our back yard. *sigh* Soon, right? Remind me that the warm spring weather will be back soon, please.

Oh, and the craftsiness! I need it to get warm so I can start making and wearing cute skirts. In fact, I may go do some sewing while DD is still napping... hmm...

·
Registered
499 Posts
what is it about spring snow? I swear it feels colder than winter snow. Or maybe I'm just extra sensitive to the cold. Even the rain has been painful today! The other night we forgot to turn on our furnace before bed, and wasn't THAT a joy to wake up to in the morning!
: I've been looking forward to going out for walks now that I have more energy, but we haven't been able to make good on it yet. We live over by Willow Park and the golf course, and there are some beautiful nature trails and foot paths that I'm just dying to take advantage of. We went for a drive in the canyon on Sunday, and it was a gorgeous day! No leaves budding yet, but I was thinking that by the time our LO gets here, all the leaves will be changing colors and it will be so beautiful. Just thinking about all those bright reds and oranges is so energizing.

I wish I had a garden! I'm anxiously awaiting the return of the farmers' market! (Mmmm... tomatoes... *drool*)

Kristal, will you be attending the CV homebirth mommies' group this Saturday? If you need specifics, let me know and I will PM them to you.

·
Registered
499 Posts
oh! and this weekend I'm hitting up the second-hand shops and clearance racks for maternity clothes! my friend is sending me some pants, but i only have 2-3 tops that fit right now and i'm getting sick of them already.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by AuntieLiz View Post
oh! and this weekend I'm hitting up the second-hand shops and clearance racks for maternity clothes! my friend is sending me some pants, but i only have 2-3 tops that fit right now and i'm getting sick of them already.
Definitely check out the DI. I was there last week and they had a bunch of nice work-worthy button-up maternity shirts. The pant selection was a little meager, but the shirts seemed pretty good. I've decided I'm going to spend the summer in light flowy skirts (that I'll start sewing one of these days), and generally try to be as scantily clad as possible. We'll see how well that works.

I think I'll be at the CV natural birth mommies meeting tomorrow. I have a friend who's due in September and is really REALLY nervous about labor, birth and the hospital here. She'd really like to meet someone, ANYONE, in Cache Valley who has a good natural birth story and gave birth in the hospital. The only ones with good stories she's found have been us homebirthers. So hopefully I'll be bringing her with me. Hope to see you there!

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Are you kidding? That snow was *beautiful!* Here in Utah County it was the most beautiful morning. I actually had to get up and go to work (sad, I know) and I was thrilled to drive around and see the early morning light filtering its way through the snowy trees. We got a foot here of heavy, heavy snow. It melted so fast my backyard was a 1 in puddle of water. I do hope it's the last, though, as I've got the gardening bug really badly. My seeds are calling me from the pantry.
:

I've seen tons of maternity clothes at the local Kid to Kid locations. Try there for used stuff, they have racks and racks usually. I'm refusing to buy any maternity clothes. This is our second and last so I'm making do with my leftovers from last time and my sister's maternity clothes from last summer. Not 100% my style, but I don't want to buy anything.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Hey Utah ladies!

The 10 day forcast for the Wasatch front is looking pretty good, so I think we'll at least get a little dose of warm weather for a while (before it snows again, like in May
. I saw our CNM today, since she has to order our u/s and blood tests, etc. in order for insurance to cover them. Anyway, she ended up performing an ultrasound in the office because she thought I was measuring large and wanted to rule out multiples. Luckily, there's only one baby in there, and it was really nice to see the baby. I celebrated by spending a small fortune at Motherhood to buy some badly needed maternity clothes. The last time I was PG was almost 6 years ago, and I have absolutely no maternity clothes. I've tried to just buy the basics that will get me through the whole PG, since this is definitely my last. I had hoped to wear lots of skirts and be scantily clad, too, but the weather hasn't been cooperating with my plans
:. My DH and kiddos are all camping in Moab this weekend, so it's just me and the dog.

Since it's supposed to be sunny this weekend, I'm going to try to spend as much time outside as I can. What are all of your plans?

By the way, thanks for starting this, Kristal! It's nice to check in with the locals

·
Registered
754 Posts
I'm a Utah lady too so thought I would check in. This pregnancy was a surprise so it has taken a bit of getting used to. And of course this has been the only one I have been sick with.
I am feeling better though so going to get back into my normal routine more. I am having a hombirth with a Southen Utah midwife. I will be my third homebirth. The sad thing is is that I have had a different midwife with all of my pregnancies. This one should be extra special though since my midwife is also my midwife preceptor. She is great!
:
It is a little odd though since I am still attending so many births and usually I have a strong aversion to birth stuff when I'm pregnant.
It is exciting there are so many of us here!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Checking in here as well! And wow, that snow was a major pain. Spring break for my kids, and we couldn't go do anything we had planned, because of the weather.

And my poor garden... it's really calling to me this year, and I can't plant anything yet. I'm looking forward to NEEDING to be out in the yard, gardening this summer, to make sure I get out and do stuff, despite being pregnant, or I'll probably just mope around inside all day every day, except when the kids force me outside. Not all that healthy for me, physically or emotionally
so... yeah, really feeling the call of the garden this year.

I may check out Kid to Kid for more maternity clothes, though I have plenty. I just love the look of them on me, when I can find them my size. Looking pregnant helps with the "Are you the babysitter?" comments I get when going places with my kids right now.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Is it just Logan, or does NOBODY sell maternity clothes anymore? When I lived in Orem, there were nice big maternity sections in Walmart and Shopko and Old Navy. Here, there is NOTHING!
I went to Ross and picked out some plus-size tops that will grow with me (they don't have maternity stuff either), but... I can't afford Motherhood or Kohl's or JC Penney's. Even their clearance stuff is more than I can afford! Guess I'll have to resort to online shopping. Booooo!

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Contrariety View Post
I've seen tons of maternity clothes at the local Kid to Kid locations. Try there for used stuff, they have racks and racks usually.
I wish we had a Kid to Kid up here in Logan. There are ZERO consignment shops up here (ridiculous, I know!), and the maternity clothes selection is really meager at the thrift shops. Liz, maybe you and I will have to head down toward Ogden and hit some consignment shops one of these weekends!

Brin, I'm glad to hear your ultrasound went well, and that you've got one healthy little one incubating.

The weather was so nice this weekend we were barely inside the whole time. We got the garden ready for our seedlings (to be transplanted in a few more weeks still) and generally tidied up the yard. Sunshine is so nice!

Quote:

Originally Posted by completebeginnings View Post
I'm a Utah lady too so thought I would check in. This pregnancy was a surprise so it has taken a bit of getting used to. And of course this has been the only one I have been sick with.
I am feeling better though so going to get back into my normal routine more. I am having a hombirth with a Southen Utah midwife. I will be my third homebirth. The sad thing is is that I have had a different midwife with all of my pregnancies. This one should be extra special though since my midwife is also my midwife preceptor. She is great!
:
It is a little odd though since I am still attending so many births and usually I have a strong aversion to birth stuff when I'm pregnant.
s Glad you're feeling better. I know how a surprise pg can throw you for a loop. Sounds great to have your midwife preceptor as your midwife.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MamaQuest View Post
And my poor garden... it's really calling to me this year, and I can't plant anything yet. I'm looking forward to NEEDING to be out in the yard, gardening this summer, to make sure I get out and do stuff, despite being pregnant, or I'll probably just mope around inside all day every day, except when the kids force me outside. Not all that healthy for me, physically or emotionally
so... yeah, really feeling the call of the garden this year.
I'm feeling the call of the garden too. I NEED to have lots of tomatoes this summer, I just know it. Plus whenever the produce really starts coming in, this storage-happy mama bear in me kicks in, and I feel like I need to can EVERYTHING NOW so that my babies will have food in the long winter months. DP teases me about it, but last week he had a peach pie made with the peaches I HAD to can last summer, so he really doesn't complain about it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AuntieLiz View Post
Is it just Logan, or does NOBODY sell maternity clothes anymore? When I lived in Orem, there were nice big maternity sections in Walmart and Shopko and Old Navy. Here, there is NOTHING!
Liz, I have NO IDEA where to go. My mom sent me a bunch of clothes last time around, and I'll mostly be wearing those and some boring maternity tee-shirts this time, I think. I've been lucky to be a grad student through both pregnancies, and not have a job where I have to dress nice for anything.

Actually, my friend who just had a baby told me that her favorite maternity pants were some jeans she got at KMart - I never would have thought to check there. So maybe take a look and see what they have? If I hear of anywhere else in town I'll let you know.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by completebeginnings View Post
:
This might be totally random, so forgive me if you read this and say WTH? My DH and I were married in Moab about 8 years ago, and the woman who made our wedding cake was also a local hb midwife. I can't remember her name for the life of me, but I wondered, since you are from So. Utah (though I don't know which region) if you might know who she is, as you have had so many midwives attend you. Any of them midwife/bakers from Moab?

·
Registered
754 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by brinalicious View Post
This might be totally random, so forgive me if you read this and say WTH? My DH and I were married in Moab about 8 years ago, and the woman who made our wedding cake was also a local hb midwife. I can't remember her name for the life of me, but I wondered, since you are from So. Utah (though I don't know which region) if you might know who she is, as you have had so many midwives attend you. Any of them midwife/bakers from Moab?
No idea. I'm sorry. Moab is actually almost 6 hours from St.George so most of the midwives from here don't attend birth there. Good luck! I will ask around.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here's a bump to see what all my fellow Utah ladies are up to these days. How is everyone?

I'm doing really well. Enjoying the warm weather (and the break from all that rain!). I like being obviously pregnant rather than looking curiously chubby, and am enjoying my baby belly while still being able to move pretty easily.

Liz, I thought you might like to know: Chris ****** thinks this babe of ours is a boy based on heartrate. How much experience do you ladies have with baby heart rates relative to the babes' sex? I know my DD was in the 150+ bpm range, and this one has been down around 130 bpm the past two appts we've had. Just curious what y'all think.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Hi Utah Ladies!!! How is everyone these days? I'm glad it finally feels like summer around here. I'm 26 weeks now, and feeling pretty good except for some pelvic/hip pain that I am seeing a chiro for. Other than that, I'm just plugging along. Now that I can feel the baby move all the time, I'm really starting to get excited about meeting this little one.

Are any of you using a doula, or do you have past experience using one. I'm looking for some input on finding one this time around. I'd love to know your thoughts.

I hope you are all doing great!!!

·
Registered
108 Posts
DDC crashing from Sept. I'm in northern UT too, and I can feel the pain of not being able to find maternity clothes easily. My sister gave me a nice pile of maternity clothes and I thought I wasn't going to need to buy any, but it turns out I am very different in size during pregnancy than she was, so most tops were too short, and most pants too big. I was able to get a few freebies off of freecycle, a few things on sale at Motherhood, a few things at DI and Somebody's Attic (don't forget they have a Smithfield location too). I also have taken a few regular things and altered them to work for maternity, like an XL cotton dress with empire waist that I cut off and hemmed to make it a nice maternity blouse (I have gotten several compliments on it and it only took about 20 min. to do). Shopko also has a maternity section with a rack of clearance items. I also picked up a few things at garage sales for $3 or less. If you go to the garage sales that advertise newborn/baby items, they usually have a few maternity clothes as well (if they don't, just ask and often they will go inside and pull out some stuff you can look through.)
Good Luck!

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey Utah Ladies,

Are any of you coming to Chris & Melissa's pool party in N. Ogden tonight? I'll be there with my partner and DD, and would love to meet any fellow DDCers. I'll be in a plain blue bikini top and blue shorts with green stripes on the side, so feel free to come up and say hi! Hope to see you there!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.