Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I havent gotten much help on the health board, so I am trying here. What alternative treatments are there for UTI? I know cranberry juice...unsweetened is best, right? What else? Keep in mind I am BROKE!!! lol (this is actually for me...but I'll pretend its for my intact son since this is the circ board, lol)

·
Premium Member
3,766 Posts
I used to get them all the time and suppliment daily with cranberry capsules. If I get one anyway, I up the dose. They aren't that expensive and you get a much bigger bang for you buck than with juice.

·
Registered
8,777 Posts
Grapefruit juice helps too
lots of water (anything that makes you pee really.)
always pee before DTD
no tampons

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, for the moment, I am drinking cranberry/apple juice that I had in my freezer-no sugar added. I know that isnt the best, but I have no car until my dh gets home. Then I will head to the store.
I was trying to find info on homeopathic treatments but havent been finding much. Does anyone have a good website with homeopathic treatments? I found one article which listed 4 treatments and Cantharis seemed to fit my symptoms the best, but not exactly (I am not really having any burning pain, just an uncomfortable feeling...). I will pick up some cranberry capsules too

·
Premium Member
3,766 Posts
What about garlic. It has antibiotic properties...I've never tried it, it just popped into my head...worth a try?

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I went and bought a bottle of a pure cranberry concentrate instead of tabs. The directions say mix with a glass of water and drink but I found it easier just to put a dropper full in the back of my throat and then drink down a large cup of water. I did this...twice a day I think and it was gone within 3 days.

·
Registered
623 Posts
One of my herbal books recommended a tsp of baking soda in a little bit of water as soon as symptoms start to appear. It alkalinizes (is that a word?) your urine which will kill off the bacteria. Do that twice a day. It tastes terrible, make sure to have a chaser of some sort. It helped me out. Good luck.

·
Registered
11,770 Posts
I think cranberry capsules are the best, with cranberry juice (as little sugar as possible and as much sugar as possible) and/or blueberry juice a close second. Personally, I would not bother with the homeopathy and spend the money on cranberry capsules instead.

Also, drink, drink, and drink some more....lots and LOTS of water to flush it out of you.

If you start getting lower back pain, though, get to the doctor stat -- UTIs can turn into kidney infections. It's OK IMO to try to manage it at home for a little, but if it's not going away in a day or two you really need the antibiotics so it doesn't get worse.

·
Registered
12,552 Posts
Technically it sounds like you have cystitis.

Cystitis only involves the bladder.

UTI is the entire urinary tract including the bladder but also the kidneys.

For cystitis, Vit C (sodium ascorbate) helps kill e. coli. Cranberry capsules. Cut all sugar from your diet temporarily. Also take acidophilus. Add to that echinacea with oregon grape root.

If it progresses to your kidneys, then I would get a urine culture and sensitivities and take antiobiotics with supportive other measures.

A grown up can wait longer than an infant/baby/child for treatment for a UTI (kidney infection). Perhaps even long enough to get back cultures and sensitivities.

www.abchomeopathy.com is a fairly good search site.

There is a good book called Homeopathic Medicine at Home.

Cantharsis is pissed off...like a cat with a bladder infection, Staphysagria (sp?) is if you are having kidney involvement, Merc v. if blood in urine

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Um, that's not entirely true. A UTI starts in the lower urethra. Gradually the bacteria work their way up, first to the bladder and then to the kidneys. Right now the only discomfort/slight pain I am having is right at the enterence to the ureter.
Yeah, I work in medicine, so I know the warning signs.
So far, I have been having symptoms for 3 days (will be 4 tomorrow am), but no fever, not much pain, etc. I almost went to the doc today but I decided to try and wait...I hate antibiotics.
I drank a whole 1.5 liters of cranberry juice earlier. Within an hour, the discomfort was almost gone, along with the urge to go. It has returned some now, but I just got more cranberry juice so....I just couldnt afford the capsules or the concentrate/nector stuff, but this is 100% juice and cranberry juice is listed first. It also has Acocia berries, whatever those are, lol.

·
Registered
12,552 Posts
Cranberry is generally considered preventative as opposed to treating acute symptoms. But if it seems to be working then
. Really adding some uva ursi tea or there is a tea from Traditional medicinals called Cran Aid that I have found helpful. Also some echinacea and oregon grape root.

And sorry but working in medicine isn't exactly proof that one knows anything about UTIs/cystitis, etc. My son is living proof of that.
:

Our urologists (and we've worked with 3 world reknowned ones now) have all stated that they do not consider it a UTI unless it moves into the upper tract: kidneys and ureters.
Perhaps I should have said UTI is upper tract (kidneys and ureters) and lower. Cystitis is lower tract: bladder and urethra.

But if a UTI technically starts in the lower urethra, then my son would never have had one. Cuz he no longer has a working lower urethra.

And for a little context, these are urologists who have never once in 2 1/2 years suggested circumcision for my son who has had 15+ full-blown UTIs (by their definition). Granted, he has a stoma now...but 2 infections including sepsis happened before the stoma. And that hasn't stopped a few residents and quite a few nurses from suggesting it.
But hey we've also had more than 1 nurse think his stoma was a belly button. Again

·
Premium Member
16,212 Posts
Have you ever TASTED unsweetened cranberry juice? It's so sour I can't stand it. And you'd have to drink a lot of it. So, I take it in capsule form. Drink lots of water, too. Stay away from sugar (at all.......in general....sugar is bad for your immune system.)

Also................make sure you pee BEFORE AND AFTER sex. Every time.

And you probably know this but make sure you wipe from front to back.....don't let any poop get around your front area!

And..........get on your hands and knees in the tub (naked). Pee in this position. Do this at least once a day if you are prone to UTIs. This helps get ALL the pee out of the bladder (it's in the residual pee that you usually don't get out where the bacteria grow.)

If you have bad back pain or start throwing up go see a doctor.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh, I meant sweetend with sugar. I've been drinking a coctail, its cranberry juice, apple juice, and acacia berry juice. So it uses apple juice for sweetening and its 100% juice. And like I said, I cant go out and buy cranberry capsules right now....we are college students and we only get money once every 3 months, so we are BROKE right now!!
I called and talked to one of my midwives and she said to drink lots of cranberry juice and take ibuprophin to help with any swelling. She said that it doesnt sound like it has moved beyond the lower urethra and it is starting to feel better too. So I think I wont need to see the doc, yay! My store didnt have any uva ursi tea, but we are going near Whole Foods tomorrow, so I can run in there and pick some up. Thanks!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.