Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
I am pretty darn sure I have my first symptomatic UTI. I was diagnosed with one (asymptomatic) due to my urine culture at my first doc visit after I got my BFP . So doc put me on amoxycillin, and I took the full course but of course was asymptomatic to begin with so not sure if it worked or not.
There was another urine sample since then and I assume everything was fine since no one said anything.
Last week I started to notice I had to pee more at night, slightly more urgently than normal. I just attributed this to the pregnancy. Then I started noticing that my urine had a strong smell, and was cloudy. Well I had a very busy week (my SIL had a baby and I had to go to a wedding) so I thought I'd wait until I saw my doc at a scheduled appt today.
Yesterday though I was in so much misery I went to the clinic where my doc works and saw the doc available at the time, and he gave me Nitrofurantoin (Cat B, like Amox.) Although he didn't take a urine sample - he diagnosed based on symtoms.
DH & I will see my regular doc today to hear baby's heartbeat for 1st time (yay!) but I'm wondering if any of you ladies can tell me how long I'll be suffering the symtoms that I have. I feel like I need to pee ALL THE TIME... not just frequently but 24 hrs a day for the past 2 days. I've only been taking the new Nitrofurantoin for 1 full day.
I'm not even sure I can work because I really feel like I need to be in the bathroom all the time. Last night was awful, only 2 hrs sleep (TMI: plus diarreah and vommitting last night...yikes!)

I'd really appreciate any advice you ladies can give.

TIA,
BP
14 weeks pregnant with 1st baby.

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
No real advice. I'm at 34 weeks and think I'm in the early stages of a UTI. My monitrice checked my urine and there was some blood in it, and I have need to pee more often, but thought it was just because I was getting MORE pregnant, lol. She recommended propolis (made by bees, get at a health food store), and said it has antibacterial and antifungal properties (we think I have a yeast infection too, and maybe GBS+, so I'm also starting on multidophilus). I've also been drinking tons of cranberry juice (that really helps me, and has lessened my discomfort), and going to the bathroom whenever I need to, instead of holding it for convenience (like usual). Don't know if any of this will help, but maybe if you're prone to UTIs, you could start taking the propolis after you finish the course of antibiotics. Monitrice seemed to think it's the kind of thing you can take for an extended period of time, but I'm only planning on taking it until my GBS test (2 weeks), so it would be wise to double-check that.

Good luck, and I hope you find relief soon!

Shana
EDD 7/29/05

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Ah ha! My favorite UTI solution: (my college roommate is now a microbiologist, and this comes from her).
1. drink drink drink drink drink drink drink and then drink some more water
2. take cranberry extract.
3. (and this is the key one). Put a heating pad or hot rice sock over your bladder--you don't want to bake the baby, so try and limit it to your bladder. apparently the heat makes the little "hooks" that the bacteria use to cling to your bladder unfurl. as long as you're drinking a lot of water, they should get flushed away.

That said, of course, talk to your health provider and all that.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts