Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few years ago I had chronic UTI's for about twelve months. I haven't had one since, but during the past few weeks have occassionally experienced a lot of pain during urination. I haven't had any blood in my urine, though, so I assumed it might have something to do with the growing baby.

I mentioned it during my appointment with the doctor today, and she automatically wrote me a prescription for an antibiotic- with two refills- and said to take them. I asked if she needed to test my urine first, and she said, no, because UTI's are so common in pregnant women and the symptoms may be different from when you're non-pregnant. She said that because of the risks involved in harboring an infection, it's better to just treat it.

She gave me a very low-level antibiotic to take for 10 days and told me to use the refills if symptoms reoccur.

I'm concerned that she didn't first verify that I had a UTI and not something else. My mom didn't think that was unusual at all given my history with UTIs, but I still feel uncertain about it.

Anyone else had this happen?

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I find that very ODD and would not take anything without getting it confirmed. antibiotics DO mess with your intestinal flora...just sounds so unbelievably lazy of the doc -- not to mention irresponsible, as overprescribing anitbiotics has already caused so many problems. how would she know for certain what's causing it? what if its a yeast infection, or just irritation from the increased discharge (due to pregnancy)? Sorry op - not directing this at you at all - but it just infuriates me that docs would hand out drugs to a pregnant woman without checking to be absolutely certain its necessary..
:

·
Registered
925 Posts
Yeah, I think it's a little disappointing that the doc did not test your urine. I just had to deal with a UTI recently (no blood or anything, just pain like you're describing) and my midwife (who is also an herbalist) told me to get some horsetail and cornsilk @ my natural foods store and make a tea out of them. Put 30-40 drops of echinacea tincture in it and drink it 3-4 times a day. She told me to up my vitamin C intake and to continue chugging pure cranberry juice and water. Oh yes, and she also had me buy a spray bottle and fill it w/ water & salt (1/2 tsp per 8 oz of water) to spray on my pee-pee area every time I use the restroom. Oh yes, and she also said to try to stay away from meat while battling the infection because meat protein changes the pH of urine to an enviroment that is hospitable for bacterial growth.

After a few days of doing this, the UTI seemed like it was on its way out....but I was getting a little nervous. A few years ago I went to the ER because I had a UTI that got so out of control....when I peed it seemed like it was MOSTLY blood and I was doubled over in pain. I was afraid of letting the infection linger around, even though it seemed better. SO I WENT TO MY STUPID DOCTOR. Long story short, I had to be on 2 rounds of antibiotics because the doctor did not describe a long enough course the first time. This is going to sound all conspiracy-theorist
, but I suspect she did that just so I'd have to come back and pay for another office visit. Both times I saw her, she spent all of 3 minutes in the room with me and said that they checked my urine, but it was so dilute from me drinking so many fluids, they couldn't tell anything from it....so I suppose it didn't really do much good to check it anyway.

I guess I said all that to say....I probably would've been better off sticking it out with just the natural remedies than to go to a doctor who acts like she doesn't give a rip and have to pay for 2 office visits and 2 rounds of antibiotics.
:

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
Hmmm I cant imagine why your doc would not take a quick sample. Takes all of 30 seconds to check a strip. I would never take antibiotics without good reason. The only thing I can think of is that UTIs can be serious in pg women - maybe she wants you to have the Rx's just in case? I dont know

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I think she should have tested your urine too. She could have probably confirmed it with a simple pee strip. I've had UTIs in the past where they couldn't tell anything w/a quick test because I had been drinking so much (to try and flush it) but when they cultured the urine they got back the positive result along with the type of bacteria so they could verify the correct antibiotic was given. You'd think if they do this in non-pregnant patients that it would be more important for pregnant ones. It is funny how the tests I think are easy and more important are the ones OBs/MWs sometimes don't and vice-versa.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I talked to my sister (who's also a pharmacist) and she said that what the doctor did isn't unusual given my track record with UTI's. She said that the idea is that if I take a low level, safe antibiotic now then I can prevent the need for a stronger less-safe antibiotic later. In other words, stop the infection before it becomes full fledged because I have a history of UTI's lasting for months and months once they start. She said that the doctor probably skipped the test because of my history.

I routinely drink a ton of water and cranberry and also eat bananas for the potassium. I also take additional vitamin C and wash my hands before AND after urination. A couple of years ago, I saw a urologist who explained that I get chronic UTIs because my bladder never fully empties and because my uretha is oddly shaped. Hence, all the preventive measures that I use and usually work...

So I'm going to go ahead and take the antibiotic and see if that helps.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by 13Sandals View Post
I find that very ODD and would not take anything without getting it confirmed. antibiotics DO mess with your intestinal flora...just sounds so unbelievably lazy of the doc -- not to mention irresponsible, as overprescribing anitbiotics has already caused so many problems. how would she know for certain what's causing it? what if its a yeast infection, or just irritation from the increased discharge (due to pregnancy)? Sorry op - not directing this at you at all - but it just infuriates me that docs would hand out drugs to a pregnant woman without checking to be absolutely certain its necessary..
:
This was my reaction initially!!! I wasn't happy when I left the office. My sister calmed me down a lot because she didn't think this was unusual at all given my history.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by kewpie-o View Post

After a few days of doing this, the UTI seemed like it was on its way out....but I was getting a little nervous. A few years ago I went to the ER because I had a UTI that got so out of control....when I peed it seemed like it was MOSTLY blood and I was doubled over in pain.
I've had those several times and the pain is indescribable!! The first time it happened, I'd never had a UTI before, and I honestly thought that I was 31 years old and dying. The pain was so intense that I was crying at the urgent care center, and the blood was terrifying. I finally learned to recognize the symptoms before it reached that point, but I hope that I never, ever, ever go through that again.

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
I'd have to agree that it would have been a good idea to at least CHECK your urine. Your history means that it is very probable that that is the case, but one of the best indicators of a UTI is protein in the urine and that is a simple dipstick test that they can do in the office. What I find to be the most common method of dealing with infections like UTIs or strep throat is to prescribe the antibiotics and then take samples (urine for UTI and a throat swab for strep) and call you to let you know the results, which can usually be obtained on a rush in 24 hrs.

·
Registered
683 Posts
They have capsules of pure cranberry-- I get CranMax from the health food store-- it's like one glass of cranberry juice in one capsule. Much easier for me to take- plus no extra sugars.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts