Mothering Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>HI everyone, from Madison!</p>
<p>I'm only about 3 weeks gestation, so just getting started on exploring birth options.  The two I'm most interested in looking at are the Madison Birth Center, and UW Midwives.  Those of you who have experience w/ either of both of these, I'd like to some pros/cons for the two.  Is water birth allowed at Meriter w/ a mw?  I don't think I'm ready for a homebirth, so these seem like a nice alternative.  Positive/negative experiences?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Thanks!</p>
<p>e</p>

·
Registered
18 Posts
<p>From what I know you can labor in the tubs at Meriter but you can't have a water birth...their insurance doesn't cover it.  Good luck!</p>

·
Registered
619 Posts
<p>Congratulations on your pregnancy!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I used the UW Midwives and I really loved getting the prenatal care from them.  They were also covered by my insurance (Unity), whereas the MBC would have been paid for out of pocket ($5K+).</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I labored and delivered mostly at Meriter.  They let you sit in their tubs as long as you want, but you cannot give birth in the tubs.  There's not a lot of room for someone to assist you if you need it with those tubs - they are about the size of a regular bathtub and just have some jets in them.  You cannot have a water birth at Meriter.  You can, however, be in whatever other position you want when giving birth with a midwife there.  No stirrup or back-birthing requirement.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>That said, I went into it thinking I would try to give birth standing or kneeling...and I ended up feeling like I needed an epidural...which I had.  It was the best thing ever, at the time.  I guess I would just go into your birth plan with a definite open-mindedness, keeping in mind your general preferences.  I did end up with a c-section because of poor baby positioning (face up, arm raised above his head), but would have the midwives again if only they would accept VBAC clients (which they do not)!</p>

·
Registered
1 Posts
<p>I was doing some searches on Meriter water birth, and found this thread.  Not sure if you still check this, but wondering what you decided on.  I took my birth classes at the MBC and had my 2 children with the Meriter Midwives.  Curious as to what you decided on.  I loved the MBC, but we couldn't pay out of pocket for it.  Liked some of the Midwives, but not others.  Now I am pregnant with a third in 3 years! Going with a WONDERFUL Doctor, Mallory from Wildwood.  My husband works for Meriter, and they are currently building large water birth tubs! I am THRILLED.   Dr. Mallory is getting certified to do them in August.</p>

·
Registered
987 Posts
<p>It was 6 years ago now, but I had a great totally natural birth at Meriter with a CNM. I didn't have an IV, I left at 24 hrs easily with no problems, and my midwife was great and as hands-off as I wanted her to be.  It was the most peaceful most "natural" of my "natural" births.  Good luck with your choice!</p>

1 - 8 of 8 Posts