Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are in Newport for school vacation week. What great things should we see and do? My kids are ages 2-9 and I am alone except my mom will be with me for part of the week. I didn't realize MA and RI have the same vacation week, which is a bit of a bummer.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
You won't be too far from Mystic, CT which I love visiting. It has Mystic Seaport and there is also an aquarium.
The only cool weather thing I can think of in Newport is the mansions. They are pretty $$ to get into but they can be fun to go look at. Personally I would recommend one that has self guided tours if you do go to one.
If the weather isn't too cold there are some lovely spots in Newport/ Jamestown/ Middletown. There's a cool hiking spot by an audoban center, Satchuset point?
Have fun!

·
Registered
184 Posts
I'm not sure about things in Newport, but the Providence Children's Museum has some events going on during school vacation week.

·
Registered
201 Posts
The Easton's Beach Rotunda on First Beach in Newport has the "Beach Bounce" every day. It's $6 for kids on the weekdays. They have a bunch of inflated bouncy things all set up by the carousel and it's a ton of fun! Plus, if it's nicer, you can also explore the beach.

www.eastonsbeach.com

The Newport Winter Festival is also going on this week.
http://www.newportevents.com/winterfest/

The children's festival is at the Newport Marriott on Monday and Tuesday.

It's a good week to be in Newport!

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not that I waited until the last minute(!) but in between packing I checked out all the Newport Winter Festival stuff. Looks great! We will skate, bounce, check out some of the shows, explore the beaches, etc. This is my first vacation I've ever done without dp (who has to work) and I'm actually looking forward to it! Back in a week.

Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We had a great time!

We delayed the trip because ds had a stomach bug (but he has learned to puke in the toilet.
Two years ago when he last puked he could not!!) DD spent the first night puking (she cannot consistently hit the toilet,
) but then things were great. We did all the free winter fest activities- bounce house, carousel, skating, science show, save the bay, beach combing, hanging in the hot tub outside, etc. Very nice town, easy to get around, etc. I can't even imagine how crowded it must be in the summer.

Thanks for the info!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.