Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, our family is thinking of moving to the Burlington area. We are vacationing up there this August. Any thoughts from those of you who live there? We are desparate to be in a colder climate (we are now in Texas) and near the mountains. Is it really as family friendly up there as all the advertising claims? What about AP issues? We are no-vax and gentle-discipline, etc. but we don't "look" non-mainstream (HA!). Are homes really THAT expensive up there? We would like some acreage out in the country with accessability to the metro area. For the first 6 months or year we would probably rent.

Any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Hi Mama-Mukti-

I am currently renting in a town about 45 minutes outside of Burlington, and I've actually lived in town in the past. It really is a wonderful, family friendly, place. Lots of progressively thinking, environmentally aware people roaming around. There's an urban farming-area called the Intervale that is an amazing asset to the community and supplies amazing organic food...
As far as real estate, I guess it's all relative. We are looking to buy right now, and are having a bit of a hard time with it. Property is more expensive here than it is in, say, Wisconsin where my brother just bought a house. But it is SIGNIFICANTLY more affordable than Massachusetts and Pennslyvania where I have other friends/family searching these days...
A good resource to give you some ideas of the market is http://www.picketfencepreview.com/sel.asp
This is a listing of for sale by owner. Burlington is in Chittenden county.
Enjoy your visit in August...
Let me know if there's anything else I can help with!

~Jeanne

·
Registered
731 Posts
Hi, live just outside of Burlington and LOVE it here! Yes, I agree it's progressive and family friendly. I'm not too well-versed in property values but there's a lot of growth and costs are a bit high. I just bought my first house last year and it's a cute old house that was in great shape and I got it for $179k complete with a 69x100 yard fenced in backyard. Loving it.

Burlington isn't necessarily close to the mountains but there are some nice outlying towns where you can commute to. I would think where you work would make a huge difference. We live quite close because of dh's job and not wanting to commute too far in bad weather. We'd like a house in the country too but the powers that be know they're in high demand and a nice house can be costly. I would imagine once you see Burlington you'd be like, this IS a small town haha.

I like it, lots of culture and diversity. I hope you decide to stay, Kitty

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
We live in Burlington and are just about to start searching for our first house. The median home price in Chittenden county is $206K. A lot more than the place in Indiana where I'm from but a lot less than NJ, where we were before moving here. If you're willing to live further north of Burlington housing prices start to go down. Burlington is in a valley but less than an hours' drive from the mountains.

It is progressive here and I've found that even our technically mainstream ped is pretty progressive. I found even in giving birth at Fletcher Allen, the big hospital here, that if you said breastfeeding is what you wanted to do formula was never mentioned or suggested. I've been thrilled with all of the organic choices from fruits and veggies to meats as well.

The other thing I really love about here is something my MIL always raves about, when Vermont is confronted with a problem everyone gets together and says, "OK, how can we address this?"

And last but not least, I really value the New England, Live and Let Live attitude that I find here for the most part. So even though there are Republicans, they're the old fashioned kind, for the most part, and not the neocons you might find in other states. (oops, my bias is showing
)

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the replies! We are getting excited about our trip up there this summer. We are going to fly in to the airport just north of Hartford, CT and then drive up through MA so we can see some of the countryside along the way. Does anyone have any thoughts on hotels in the Burlington area? We want CHEAP and FAMILY-FRIENDLY, with an indoor pool would be great. So far I am looking at the Howard Johnson. Is that area south of the town pretty much a Suburban Strip??? Is that where the Mall is? We are looking for basic - but we don't want to stay someplace nasty. Any suggestions? NO B&Bs please! We did that last summer and this time we want MOtel 6 type.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Friends of mine stayed at the Tibet Inn relatively recently with their toddler and said it was nice. It's I think about $30/night. Breakfast is included but I'm not sure about a pool. And yes the area of South Burlington south of town is rather strip mallish for Vermont. My ILs tend to stay north of town in Winooski/Colchester. There's a Motel 6 there and another hotel. It's right across the street from a fine diner named Libby's and right by a good Italian one, sorry I'm not awake yet, need more coffee, so I can't remember the name. It's also a little quieter up there b/c there's construction on the road going on south of town.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.