Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hi, I have one 5 yr old unvaccinated child. I am interviewing this week for a childcare job ( while my son is at school) watching a newborn and a 2 year old. I discovered that this family does vaccinate. So this is my one big fear obstacle to pursuing this job. I worry that the babies could shed live viruses to me and then to my family. Is this worth missing out on the job for? I mean is this a valid concern? My family's health is my #1 priority but other than that obstacle of the babies with their vaccines, the job is a good fit for me.

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it...You go out in public with your family don't you? People in public all the time are either not vaccinated, or vaccinated...there's no way to tell unless you ask them, which in public is politically 'incorrect' to do. Wash your hands frequently as usual, and do what you usually do. People in public shed viruses all the time, too.

·
Registered
18,828 Posts
With a baby and a 2 year old the only likely problem is the rotavirus vaccine. Very thorough handwashing after diaper changes will probably take care of it.

On the other hand, caring for small children has been dangerous for the last 20 or 30 years due to diagnoses of "shaken baby syndrome". If either child has symptoms that match up with the SBS stuff, you could be in danger of jail. Sad but true.

http://www.innocenceproject.org/new...t-in-depth-investigation-shaken-baby-syndrome

Reactions: Mirzam

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
With a baby and a 2 year old the only likely problem is the rotavirus vaccine. Very thorough handwashing after diaper changes will probably take care of it.

On the other hand, caring for small children has been dangerous for the last 20 or 30 years due to diagnoses of "shaken baby syndrome". If either child has symptoms that match up with the SBS stuff, you could be in danger of jail. Sad but true.

http://www.innocenceproject.org/new...t-in-depth-investigation-shaken-baby-syndrome
yes, sadly, there is this to consider.

·
Registered
8,849 Posts
Not to mention, those who vaccinated either do so in a public health clinic or in a Dr office, both places they are exposed and contract many nasties that they carry home to the sitter and their family as well. Might be fine for you and your kids but maybe if you have a spouse they might mind missing a lot of work with random fevers etc., some do!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am confused by the answers! Are you guys saying it is a worry and would be worth passing up the job for? ( I don't have the job anyway, just an interview for it coming up). Or are you saying just being in public is the same type of exposure and if we are fine now, me being a caregiver for these kids won't be harmful in that way? please clarify, thanks.

·
Registered
18,828 Posts
I am confused by the answers! Are you guys saying it is a worry and would be worth passing up the job for? ( I don't have the job anyway, just an interview for it coming up). Or are you saying just being in public is the same type of exposure and if we are fine now, me being a caregiver for these kids won't be harmful in that way? please clarify, thanks.
I'll try to sort it out.

Given the ages of the two children, the only live virus vaccine you are likely to be exposed to is rotavirus and very careful hand washing should take care of that. If you will be caring for them long term, then you do need to be aware of the vaccine schedule and watch out for the live virus vaccines given at 1 year (chickenpox definitely can shed) and also ask if the older child is getting the annual flu vaccine--but only if it is the nasal version.

Other factors:

Getting vaccines exposes children to all sorts of illnesses--not from the vaccines but from the setting. Doctor's offices and clinics are hotbeds of communicable illnesses. So caring for a baby means more exposure to illness, period.

And then there is the problem of carers being blamed for severe health problems in infants and toddlers that are actually due to other factors. I linked an article on this in my earlier post.

So I'd just sum up by saying that caring for kids nowadays is a tricky business and you should know what you are getting into.

My daughter ran a home daycare for a few years and had no problems. She did not accept infants, however.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts