Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are considering moving to NJ from NY, and I am not sure what the state's policies are on exemptions from vaccinations. In NY you can only get a religious exemption, and you just need to write a letter to the school saying you have a sincerely held religious belief that prevents you from getting vaccinated. How does it work in NJ? Has anyone tried it and run into problems? What have been your experiences?
Thanks!
Maya

·
Registered
8,777 Posts
I haven't looked into it in detail yet since DS is still too young for school any way, but I have talked a little with my pediatrician. We're selectively vaxing and when I said that we didn't want a particular vax she mentioned that it was one of the ones required for school. She mentioned that we could get a religious exemption which surprised me that we would qualify since we aren't christian scientist or such and we are doing some vax. She says lots of people do the same thing and don't have problems.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
It's medical or religious here. Basically, write a letter that adheres to the law - stating that you are against the practice of vaccination and your sincere religious belief, sign it and turn it in. (It can be helpful to get it notarized though.) So far I've had no issues and my friends have had no issues. I've seen preschools try to be a PITA about it, but eventually back down when they have the law shown to them again.

As for selectively vaxxing - it's probably best to leave your school vax form blank and just submit an exemption. You and your doctor have records and that is really what matters.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I think in NJ its a religious exemption, and some type of philosophical exemption is being discussed now. Check out www.vaclib.org It has tons of info not only for NJ.

ds is not vax'ed and won't be, but is only 18 months. By the time a school is interested, providing I am not homeschooling, I worry about it then.

·
Premium Member
4,834 Posts
It's the same here as in NY. You can find PLENTY of sample letters on the web. Some are a bit more overtly religious and there's a good one somewhere written by a lawyer that doesn't get all hellfire and brimstone--but fulfills the legal requirement.

Yeah--they've proposed the philosophical exemption here. It's tough to know how that will play out since we are (still?) home to the most pharmaceutical companies in the country. Gotta be a hell of a lobbying act! We also have the highest rate of autism in the country--although that might be more because we are renowned for having AWESOME early intervention services (as is NY)--so hard to know if that number is inflated by people flocking here to reap the services... kwim?

I'm babbling. WELCOME!!

·
Registered
514 Posts
I heard that there is a philosophical exemption underway here. Someone sent this out through HMN last week...

"A philosophical exemption bill has just been sponsored in the
Assembly. Please take a moment to write to your Assembly people
asking them to co-sponsor this legislation. It is important to write
a letter and also send an e-mail. If you can schedule a meeting that
is even better. Also be sure to thank Doherty and Merkt for getting
the ball rolling. You can find your local legisaltors on the website
listed below. Following the article is the bill number. It also
doesn't hurt to ask your Senator to co-sponsor the Senate version.
Our postcards and letters are having an effect.
http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/
Bill would let parents opt kids out of shots
Not just a religious option. Assemblyman Doherty's bill would change
vaccination rules.

Friday, March 09, 2007
By Trish G. Graber

The Express-Times

TRENTON | A local lawmaker wants to give parents the ability to keep
their children from receiving vaccines required for school admission
but only if they object due their beliefs.

Current law allows an exemption based only on medical or religious
reasons.

But Assemblyman Michael Doherty, R-Warren/Hunterdon, thinks a
philosophical objection should be reason enough and has introduced
legislation to make that the case.

"This bill will ensure that the government cannot impose its will,
and its health care agenda, on the children of New Jersey under
penalty of not admitting them to New Jersey schools," he said.

The measure comes amid a national debate spurred by Texas Gov. Rick
Perry, who mandated on Feb. 2 that all middle-school-age girls in his
state be vaccinated for a sexually transmitted disease, the human
papillomavirus, by the start of the 2008 school year. The mandate
included an opt-out clause for religious beliefs or "reasons of
conscience," which a parent must apply for, according to his
executive order.

New Jersey has not considered such a mandate, but Doherty said he
wants to pass legislation to safeguard against any future
requirements. The measure would also apply to vaccinations currently
mandated, such as measles and mumps.

Opponents of the HPV vaccine have said the requirement could
encourage promiscuity and that it oversteps parental authority. They
also argue it would subject children to a vaccine with little known
long-term effects.

HPV, which causes genital warts, has been linked to cervical cancer.
The vaccine, called Gardasil, is produced by Hunterdon County-based
Merck & Co., which last month discontinued lobbying efforts to
require the vaccine in other states.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends the vaccine
for girls ages 11 through 12 but says it can be given to girls as
young as 9 years old. The vaccine protects against four types of HPV,
which cause about 70 percent of cervical cancers, according to the
CDC.

The measure is sponsored by Doherty and Assemblyman Richard Merkt, R-
Morris. An identical bill was introduced in the Senate in March 2006
and referred to the Health, Human Services and Senior Citizens
Committee.

Trish G. Graber is Trenton correspondent for The Express-Times. She
can be reached at 609-292-5154. 1/3/à=(( I_5 1/3/à=((

© 2007 The Express Times
© 2007 NJ.com All Rights Reserved.

Sue Collins
Co-Founder
New Jersey Alliance for Informed Choice in Vaccination, NJAICV"

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
The philosophical exemption has been proposed several times in the past few years. So far it's gotten nowhere. I give major props to the Mercer Co. rep behind it all. Makes me want to move to her district!

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Be sure to NOT let the school know you have vaxed at all. Making an informed choice about vaxing could void your religious exemption.

We have to decided to get the vaxes we want from a different pediatrician and pay out pocket, then there is no paper trail and my regular dr doesn't have to worry about the forms being inaccurate if he has no records...

The crap they make you do...all for trying to make the best choices...

·
Registered
9,488 Posts
Please come over to the Vaccinations forum! LongIsland is our go-to girl for exemption information - she can tell you EXACTLY what you need.

Quote:

Originally Posted by eepster View Post
I haven't looked into it in detail yet since DS is still too young for school any way, but I have talked a little with my pediatrician.
A ped is THE LAST person I would consult for vax exemption info. Our ped almost damn near sabotaged my chances of getting an exemption - thank goodness I checked w/LI and others here before I submitted anything!

Peds don't know much - if anything - about vax law and exemptions.

Quote:
She mentioned that we could get a religious exemption which surprised me that we would qualify since we aren't christian scientist or such and we are doing some vax.
You do NOT have to be a member of an organized religion to get a religious exemption. The practice of vaccination is contrary to your sincere & personally held religious beliefs, period. Your beliefs can come from the Church of eepster.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mavournin View Post
As for selectively vaxxing - it's probably best to leave your school vax form blank and just submit an exemption.
If you are submitting an exemption, DO NOT submit any vax records! The exemption is submitted in place of the vax record.

Quote:

Originally Posted by heatherdeg View Post
You can find PLENTY of sample letters on the web.
Do not - I repeat, DO NOT copy any letter you find on the web, or elsewhere!!!!! You should submit a short, to-the-point letter in your own words. This is crucial - schools can and will deny an exemption if they find evidence (and a copied letter qualifies) that vaccination is not contrary to YOUR personally held and sincere beliefs.

They know what to look for. You have to be very careful.

OP, I urge you to come to the vax forum and get the info you need from LI.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.