Registered
8,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ladies, we have some options for AF:

1. Disposable pads
2. Cloth pads
3. Diva cup
4. Tampon + vaccine for Toxic Shock Syndrome

If you choose the fourth option, you'll need a booster shot every five years. How on earth are they going to market this one? :scratch Are some women so attached to their tampons that they'd take a vaccine to keep using them?

http://www.newsweek.com/first-vaccine-toxic-shock-syndrome-tss-tampon-safety-471248

Reactions: applejuice

·
Registered
24,722 Posts
Is TSS really that much of a health problem?

... do you think it will be on the CDC schedule for ALL girls? But the girls with primary ovarian failure from Gardasil do not have to worry any more! Do you think there will be a way to market this vaccine to men?

So they are ready for the post marketing surveillance part of the vaccine development. Let me imagine what the side effects for this vaccine would be.

·
Registered
18,830 Posts
I read this book many years ago http://www.nytimes.com/1986/04/13/books/customers-as-victims.html

What is left out of the review is that P & G successfully bought many of the scientists to help them blur the connection between toxic shock syndrome and certain types of tampons. This is why women are still dying. Because dangerous tampons have remained on the market. It would probably be difficult to get hold of a copy of this book, but it is well worth reading. Another example of a conspiracy (successful) to hide the real cause of a health problem and protect profits.

The FDA protects us...

·
Registered
18,830 Posts
This article is also good. http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2015/06/history-of-the-tampon/394334/

You can see how obfuscation of problems appears pretty widely...

Tierno recalls writing a letter in 1980 to the CDC, the FDA, and P&G identifying four popular tampon ingredients that could amplify bacteria growth: carboxymethylcellulose, polyester, polyacrylate rayon, and viscose rayon. At the time, “of course, I was laughed at,” he says—and Tierno’s research, it’s worth noting, has remained controversial, especially among tampon manufacturers and scientists they sponsor. But according to Tierno (and the CDC), manufacturers abandoned the use of CMC and polyester after Rely was pulled from shelves, and tampons containing polyacrylates were withdrawn from markets in 1985. (Tampax, Friedman notes, even revived a line of all-cotton tampons it had discontinued in 1978.) Viscose rayon is still commonly used in tampons; a representative for Kotex confirmed to me that viscose rayon is the only one of these ingredients still in use in its products. (Representatives for Procter & Gamble, now the owner of Tampax, did not respond to requests for comment on their ingredients, and Playtex declined to comment on theirs.)
Tierno, I believe, is the one scientist studying these problems who has remained "unbought" so of course his research is "controversial."

·
Registered
271 Posts
Well, toxic shock syndrome is not limited to women who use overly absorbent tampons: dialysis patients and other post-surgical patients are also susceptible. I would hope this vaccine would be like the yellow fever vaccine and only given to people who truly are at risk. I would also hope that women would make choices to reduce their risk of TSS whether or not there is a vaccine.

·
Registered
24,722 Posts
No kidding. My grandmother used Rely in 1978-9 for her colostomy bag. Getting TSS was the least of her worries.

Too bad this vaccine was not around to protect her! <psyche>

Honestly, if women just took time to change their tampons regularly, this would not be a problem. It is simple hygiene. Do we need a vaccine so we can ignore basic rules of hygiene? Do we need a vaccine to keep our hands clean? Perhaps women should just turn to modern medicine to get a surgical removal of the uterus, i.e., hysterectomy, to avoid TSS. Dr Mendelsohn called that, "bread & butter surgery".

Why spent time and money to develop a vaccine for a small population when one can push it on all possible customers?

Look at how Hepatitis B is given to newborns. There is no benefit for this population, but they all get it anyway. Giving this vaccine for 25+ years has NOT diminished the rate of Hepatitis B.

·
Registered
18,830 Posts
Well, toxic shock syndrome is not limited to women who use overly absorbent tampons: dialysis patients and other post-surgical patients are also susceptible. I would hope this vaccine would be like the yellow fever vaccine and only given to people who truly are at risk. I would also hope that women would make choices to reduce their risk of TSS whether or not there is a vaccine.
Did you read the article? The focus is totally on tampon related TSS.

The real solution would be to stop selling super absorbant tampons. Another solution would be tampons that fall out after a certain number of hours--just kidding--but it is rather sad that we live such hectic lives nowadays that women can't even find time to remove and replace a tampon.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Yes, the article focused on tampon users, which I think is unfortunate because this vaccine has the potential to be truly helpful to people who cannot control their risk factors. I agree that healthy menstruating women should focus on making safer choices.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Did you read the article? The focus is totally on tampon related TSS.

The real solution would be to stop selling super absorbant tampons. Another solution would be tampons that fall out after a certain number of hours--just kidding--but it is rather sad that we live such hectic lives nowadays that women can't even find time to remove and replace a tampon.
Hell,I'd be thrilled if they'd sell light absorbency in the US! DD14 has to order them from the UK for the few occasions she uses them.

·
Registered
18,830 Posts
Thanks, that would save on shipping at least...I swear we've looked at every store in town and even the "regular" are scarce.
Maybe this is due to the baby boomers hitting menopause? There were a couple of years there where I should have had anemia from the amount of flow! Not that even a super super super would have worked :crying:

·
Registered
271 Posts
Thanks, that would save on shipping at least...I swear we've looked at every store in town and even the "regular" are scarce.
Huh, interesting. I need "ultra", which is beyond super-plus (and for good reason, not because I am too lazy to change regularly), and those are hard to find too.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Wow. And so many will probably run happily to line up for the vaccine. Oh dear.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts