Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What vacuum cleaners do you recommend for people who suffer dust mite allergies (not severe)? FYI my 2 year old daughter has the allergy, not me so cleaning filters, etc is no problem for me. We have both hardwood and carpet in our home, but we will likely be moving to a place having only hardwood soon. We also have many low, medium, and high pile rugs. I need something powerful that will clean rugs well as well as have a good hose and set of attachments for vacuuming beds and couches. Vacuuming hard floors is not a priority to me. I am looking in the under $200 dollar range. We could spend more if it was really necessary/ worth it. Did anyone find those really high end allergy vacs necessary?<br><br>
Here is a list of my priorities in order:<br><br>
1. Powerful suction to clean rugs/carpet<br><br>
2. Good filtration system that doesn't require replacing filters often<br><br>
3. Good hose suction and upholstery attachments<br><br>
4. Reasonable price/ good value<br><br>
5. Durable and low maintenance<br><br><br><br>
What about air filters? Did anyone find those useful? I am considering one not just because of allergies, but also because we live close to a busy freeway in a big city. Any recommendations? Again, I want to keep it on the low end of the price range unless it is really worth it to spend more.<br><br><br>
Finally, any general advice about dealing with dust mites? I am buying matress/pillow encasements. My daughter is just getting her first bed so she will have all new bedding and matress. I read about washing bedding and curtains regulalry. I am just wondering what was most helpful.<br><br>
Thanks!

·
Registered
10,747 Posts
For DD1, my dust mite girl, I changed drapes to roman shades. Changed all her bedding so it could be washed in hot water (she'd had a cold water wash quilt before that). Removed all stuffed animals from her room (went in the closet, and kept the closet door closed). We have an (Aerus) Electrolux upright. For us it was worth it. I just got a reconditioned one from amazon for $200.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts