Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am really curious about something here. I was talking to dh about "what ifs" with the birth and all, and he said that if the baby is presenting breech, even a nice frank, he would want us to go to the hospital. He said he would want our midwife to be there and would want to have the baby vaginally, but that he'd feel more comfortable if we were right there, just in case. I grudgingly agreed with him, but now I wonder. If we showed up at the hospital, wouldn't they just section me automatically? The ACOG has a no vaginal breech policy, right?<br><br>
Baby is head down at 34 weeks. Sunny side up, but at least the head is down. There hasn't been any somersaulting for quite a while, so I'm not really worried about this.

·
Registered
7,527 Posts
Most doctors will NOT deliver a vaginal breech. I know in your city there is one that will, but it's still iffy - mom has to come in fully dilated and this doc gets a lot of flack for it.<br><br>
Still, I'd trust a mw attending a breech over most docs. They are taught to manipulate and manage a breech, whereas most midwives do not. The biggest risk to breeches is mismanagement by the attendant.

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
I live in Los Angeles and there is ONE doctor we know of in the entire city who will still deliver a breech vaginally and his staff won't even admit to it. My MW's are not technically "allowed" to delive a breech at home and the last time they transported one, the babby's butt was against the perinium (essentially crowning) and the Dr sectioned and pulled the baby back out of the canal.<br><br>
So, if you can find a MW willing to do a home breech, go for it, your chances of delivering a breech vaginally is very low once to get to the hopsital.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
I second Rubelin; if you go to the hospital for a vaginal breech, you mw will not be catching, and 99% of the time you will have a c-section. So, talk to you mw about it; see what her comfort level and experience level is. Theorectically there might be a doc in your hospital who will catch a breech. If so, will he come in for it, or do you have to get lucky and go into labor when he is on call?<br><br>
This is how it is in one of our area hospitals; there is one old curmugeon who is very comfortable doing breech; no other hospital or doc in the area will. But he doesn't advertise it, and will only do it if a) he is on call, b) your doc calls and begs him to come in and attend the birth. He is only available to do this if he doesn't have someone else in labor, or something else going on. He *has* done this for us before; he has also denied our request before, for valid reasons.<br><br>
Good luck! Stay head down, baby!<br><br>
Lori<br><br>
eta: of course, in our area you would be an automatic c-section, as most of the hospitals aren't attending VBACs anymore, anyhow. Our birth center is the only facility in our town that attends VBACs...but we aren't allowed to do breech birth. Urgh, it is frustrating!

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm...that's what I thought.<br><br>
Thanks for all of your replies! Luckily I'm not actually worried about this, but I'd better make sure and discuss it with our midwife while dh is there.<br><br>
And, I'll make sure and do lots of really deep squatting. Get that head firmly wedged...

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
<div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px;">Quote:</div>
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">
<div>Originally Posted by <strong>Hera</strong></div>
<div style="font-style:italic;"><br>
And, I'll make sure and do lots of really deep squatting. Get that head firmly wedged...</div>
</td>
</tr></table></div>
Spin it first before you wedge it!!! You don't want that baby posterior!<br><br><br><a href="http://www.spinningbabies.com/" target="_blank">Spinning Babies</a>

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Aaaaargh! Thanks for the link, but of course I now have a new worry....this baby is definately on the right side, kinda posteriorish. Placenta's in front and kind of on the left.<br><br>
I've actually been doing a lot of the postures that the site says, trying to get baby to turn around. I think it's sort of working, because I'm not feeling kicks on both sides anymore, and definately had a rump sticking out under my ribs yesterday.<br><br>
Ok, dd wants to use the computer now. I guess I'll go do some cat-cows....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts