Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
But I wanted to get opinions here too, you are all so knowledgeable

I'm not sure what to do about this, maybe someone can help? My preschooler has been rubbing and scratching herself quite a bit lately, but generally declines to let us look. Today must have been pretty bad because she finally let me look, but I don't see anything at all. No redness, discharge, swelling, rash etc. She's very uncomfortable, and I'm not sure what would help.

On a side note, she's been in her swimsuits a LOT this summer (we have a pool, and she does camp two morning a week where they do water play, plus friends' houses). I immediately thought yeast infection, because she'd had one before from tights (tiny bit of antifungal cream cleared it in less than a day), but this doesn't look anything like that did.

Suggestions? TIA!

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
This one sounds either like a yeast infection or vaginal dryness from the wet bathing suits and from the water.

If she were around 6-7, I'd say she was starting to get pubic hair and that itches little kids a lot and they get very embarrassed.

She's younger so it's possibly just irritation, dryness, or a start of a mild yeast infection.

Have her wear loose dresses and cotton undies for the time she's out of the water. If it helps, you can help her out and wipe her (or she can do this herself) with a couple squirts of diluted apple cider vinegar on some toilet paper.

This will restore the natural acidity that is probably getting washed away by swimming.

I get weird itchies sometimes, even though it doesn't look like a standard yeast infection - I'm prone to allergies so my entire body is on the allergic/yeasty side. I usually blow dry myself with warm or cooler heat down there after I shower so I'm dry and there's no moisture for anything to grow off of and bother me.

TMI, but it helps a LOT.

After your child goes swimming, having her change immediately into dry clothes, even if she's coming home to shower is good. The change time at swim meets is at least 10-15 minutes, you wait for your parents for another 5-20 minutes and you drive home for another 7-15 minutes usually (assuming that the pool is not right there in your neighborhood).

That's enough time to start trouble being in a wet bathing suit the entire time.

To sum up, I think the diluted apple cider vinegar wipes and keeping dry will help immensely. Give her some non-sugar (Splenda-based or something else) yogurt too. You can freeze the fruity yogurt for yogurt pops and that's always great for summer. Target sells big popsicle containers that are similar in size to the "Fresh Fruit" popsicles (flat and wide). They're very cheap.

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah, thank you! As usual, very helpful. She LOVES to hang out in her bathing suit--once it's on, she usually refuse to take it off. We'll be working on that!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts