Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure what to do about this, maybe someone can help? My preschooler has been rubbing and scratching herself quite a bit lately, but generally declines to let us look. Today must have been pretty bad because she finally let me look, but I don't see anything at all. No redness, discharge, swelling, rash etc. She's very uncomfortable, and I'm not sure what would help

On a side note, she's been in her swimsuits a LOT this summer (we have a pool, and she does camp two morning a week where they do water play, plus friends' houses. I immediately thought yeast infection, because she'd had one before from tights (tiny bit of antifungal cream cleared it in less than a day), but this doesn't look anything like that did.

Suggestions? TIA!

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
have you changed how you wash her swimsuits or laundry in? sounds like its just skin irritation if theres no odor or discharge......

·
Registered
8,678 Posts
Make sure she's not spending too much time in the swimsuit after she gets out of the water, or sleeping in it.
Can you get her some surfing shorts that she can wear swimming without underwear to allow some air circulation? My DP's niece who is 6 has a pair of these and loves them.

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
you might also want to check that her swimsuit hasnt got to tight on her, either by shrinkage or her growing. I know from my own experience, when my swimsuit shrunk, it caused alot of irritated down there.

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
(heaving a sigh) Yes, I suspected that might be a problem. Once she gets into the durn swimsuits, she refuses to take them off. We have the same problem with her gymnastics leotard as well. OK, I will push more on that. The fit seems to be ok on all but one, which she rarely wears because it pinches. In the meantime, any suggestions on how to help ease her discomfort? A touch of diaper cream? A little olive oil? A sitz bath with a dash of white vinegar?

Thanks for the fast responses, mamas

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
a sitz bath might work........i think lots of naked time would help to. If shes really annoyed by it some diaper cream or vaseline etc might help it not be so irritated.

·
Banned
1,548 Posts
Besides the bathing suit issue, which has been addressed here... make sure she's wiping properly when using the bathroom. A lot of kids that age forget to wipe after urinating, which can cause itching.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Pinworms. Have you done Pinworm Patrol yet? It's soooo much fun.

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by maxmama
Pinworms. Have you done Pinworm Patrol yet? It's soooo much fun.

Gah, no, but I've read about it
: Are they itchy during the day too? I thought that was mainly at night when they're active. Ick! I'll have to do some research now. Turns out that she's pretty sick tonight, actually, running a mega fever. I don't know if that has anything to do with it but I've gathered up enough info to keep me busy for awhile.

Thank you all!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts