Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my dd has a strong smell to her vagina.
I used to use soap on it but now I don't because I thought maybe that was causing it. Could it be yeast or something?

X posted in EC

·
Registered
487 Posts
When that happened to my DD her ped said it was because she needs more fluids (more urine output). The odor was slightly "fishy" and I always keep her clean so it wasn't a cleanliness issue.

I would think if it was yeast the labia might be inflamed and itchy looking.

·
Registered
6,594 Posts
Honestly, little girls are stinky to some degree. They produce a lot of smegma. A daily bath will keep it to a minimum, but genitals are not supposed to smell like roses, contrary to popular belief.
Definately don't use soap. Soap and vulvas don't mix. Just plain water.

As far as infections go, yeast smells yeasty (like bread or beer) and bacteria smells fishy. Anything else is probably the normal smell.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Enudely View Post
does that mean I need to drink more water?
Should I try giving her water too?
Hmmm...
Maybe a little young for extra water.

It will probably go away on it's own.
If not gone after a few more days, or it gets worse or you notice a discharge, then I would start to worry, but not so much now....

·
Banned
11,133 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by paquerette View Post
Honestly, little girls are stinky to some degree. They produce a lot of smegma. A daily bath will keep it to a minimum, but genitals are not supposed to smell like roses, contrary to popular belief.
Definately don't use soap. Soap and vulvas don't mix. Just plain water.

As far as infections go, yeast smells yeasty (like bread or beer) and bacteria smells fishy. Anything else is probably the normal smell.
:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts