Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband and I may be moving our family to Georgia either this summer or this fall.<br><br>
I am curious - how is homebirth treated in GA? I am due with my third in Aug. and we are not sure if we will be moving before or after the birth, and we are currently planning for a homebirth.<br><br>
Are there any birth professionals, natural parenting stores or groups, and natural peds/docs out in that area? I am achildbirth educator and an author so am looking to network and looking for stores, groups, peds, docs, and any other naturally-minded professionals that i can contact when we are sure we will be moving down there.<br><br>
We're centering on the Valdosta GA area as that is where my brother in law and his family lives, and my husband has been begging me to move to GA for years now. So anything within about an hour or so of that area would be good to know about!

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
Hi Sarah,<br>
I don't know about Valdosta, but I can tell you about hb in GA. It is absolutely legal for you to hb here. According to state laws, mw's must be licensed to practice, but the state won't license anyone and hasn't for years. That said, there are plenty of hb'ers around and midwives willing to go ahead and practice anyway. Chances are very high that your insurance will not cover your hb, though. We are in the process of setting up a study through the state gov't to make midwife attended hb legal and available. You can read about that <a href="http://www.gamidwifery.org/" target="_blank">here</a>.<br><br>
Good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts