Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 213 Posts

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Vancouver(ish) Dental Resources for Children

This is a thread for keeping track of Vancouver area dental resources for children. Please add to it by posting:
  • a review of your child's dentist
  • experiences in local hospitals
  • local sources for dental care products (including cod liver oil, butter oil, remineralizing pastes, etc)
  • links to co-ops for buying dental care products
I will be quoting some posts below - please let me know if you do not wish to be quoted.

Please go to the dental forum for questions and answers on dental care in general. There are some great threads there, including:

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
My dentist is Dr. Lowell Chow. He seems nice but we are not using him for ds' dental care because he doesn't really seem to be able to connect with ds beyond offering stickers

I ordered a case of Blue Ice cod liver oil and a bottle of butter oil from Dr. Ron's. Flat rate shipping to Canada made a bulk order cheaper.

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by lunagal View Post
i do not recommend our ped dentist in north van. (dr pochynuk...sp?) his poor bedside manners turned me off. everytime i asked questions about delaying treatment on some of the minor cavities, he made me feel like [email protected]#. we were so far down the road already, i felt i had to go ahead with him.
:

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyMoma View Post
I just got back from taking dd2 to the dentist in Sardis (near Chilliwack). Thank you so much for that recommendation Tiffani!
It was so worth it to drive out there.

I've posted here before about dd2's cavities ("bottle-mouth"). In May, I took her to a dentist recommended by an AP, GD friend, but I guess I never realized how accommodating my friend is to authority figures. It was a horrible first experience with a dentist for dd2 (painful, scary, disrespectful), and I decided to do alternative dental health care to try to cure the cavities naturally, to spare her the trauma of seeing the dentist again.

About 2 weeks ago, the filling Mr Nasty put in, *fell out*
and her tooth began to disintegrate before my eyes. Right now, it's lost at least 1/4 of it's length, and clearly is in desperate need of help. In a panic, I called Miriam Liem's office (www.vedderdental.ca ) and they got me in on a cancellation.

When we got there, dd2 was clinging to me tighter than a koala, looking absolutely terrified, not speaking, nursing incessantly to deal with her panic. They spent over an hour with us, showing dd2 how to play with all of the equipment as a way of getting her to feel comfortable and at home! Dr Liem did not force dd2 to do anything (and we never managed to get her to open her mouth for a look), but she still managed to give me some advice simply by catching a few looks at her teeth when dd2 was smiling and laughing while they let her push the floor pedal to raise and lower me in the chair (
). It looks like we're going to have to go with anesthesia to repair that tooth, because it's either going to require a pulpotomy and capping, or it's so far gone they'll have to pull it. Sigh.

So, despite the fact that they had to refer me to a pediatric dentist who has hospital privileges and they won't be doing this work for us, they still put in a lot of time and effort with us. Dr Liem gave me more information than I've ever managed to get out of a dentist (even sold me a tube of professional remineralizing paste), and best of all, the efforts of the dental assistant managed to cure dd2 of a dentist phobia that she'd clearly already developed.

The staff were so relaxed and the atmosphere so friendly - they actually come out and hang with their patients in the waiting room. Wow! It feels so great to visit a good dentist.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyMoma View Post
Dd2 had her dental surgery yesterday - it went really well! I asked them why they call it "surgery" and the nurse said it's really not surgery, it's restoration, but since it takes place under anesthetic it has to occur in a surgery, hence the use of the word. Anyway, long story short - they managed to save all her teeth, even the one I was sure they'd have to pull (it had lost at least 1/3 of the enamel and size). And they said her teeth were in better shape than when they first looked at her, including a small cavity on one of her molars that completely healed (and 3 others that weren't as bad as before).

Not quite magically healed - we were using this remineralizing toothpaste that can help cavities heal (http://www.dentist.net/prospec-mipaste-recaldent.asp). I have been trying to get CLO into her (very hard to do!). I bought mine at Finlandia. I didn't go the route of getting the special butter oil - just switched all our dairy to Avalon organic because it's grass fed. If you go out to their farm store, butter is only $4 a pound - compared to the $9+ a pound other places sell the Avalon butter for.

So now I've seen it happen myself (just heard it was possible before) - that cavities can actually heal and don't always need to be drilled and filled. I am telling everyone I know, and they are all amazed that it's even possible.

Have they told you how they are going to administer the anesthetic? They put dd2 under with something she inhaled through a mask, and then put the IV in and used it to keep her under. He may not have to see or feel the needle.
:

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by tiffani View Post
But, the good news is that Dexter had 3 fillings done yesterday by the amazing and talented Dr. Nancy Clayton (in Squamish, but well worth the drive from Bowen!!). The Chloryl Hydrate seems to really help him chill out and let her do her thing, though I don't really notice any visible signs of "druggedness" in him, so after the first time (a successful procedure) I didn't think it did anything for him. so, the next time we went back we didn't use it, and he couldn't relax enough to let her do the work. so this time we used it again and that coupled with the sedative called "Treehouse TV"
and she was able to use novocaine (one cavity was really deep) and do three teeth!! Mostly I think it was her rapport with him, her patience and respect, coupled with her attitude "I know it kind of sucks, but let's get that cavity fixed!" It probably helped that the tooth was bugging him a little, and he wanted that to stop -- before they know tooth pain, having a cavity filled is a no-benefit, painful procedure for them that just doesn't seem to make any sense at all...

anyway, dental procedures suck, and it was really nice feeling like we were in such good hands with Dr. Nancy!
She even gave him a hug and kiss at the end, despite being bitten several times (not intentionally) AND, Dex didn't need me to sit with him -- I was in the room, but not holding his hands like last time, and every so often I'd roll my chair over and tell him what I knew he needed to hear to let her do what she needed to do, (It's amazing how even the most skilled practitioner can't possibly know intuitively what a kid needs to hear like his mama knows
:....I love those reminders of our connectedness) She also filled his cavities with glass ionic something or other, and charged us for a less expensive type because the insurance won't cover the glass type for kids (easier to set, less chance of it falling out like one of the plastic resin ones did). The glass ones are gray and ugly, but they're not mercury or plastic, so I was glad she did those. I'm sure there is something equally nasty in them...

ok, so enough of that, I was just so relieved to get those particular cavities fixed -- he has a couple of other tiny ones that I think we'll really try to heal on our own for a bit before we drill and fill.
:

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
I highly recommend Dr. Glen Joyce in WEst van, 604 922 8013. He's not a ped dentist but is excellent with children, and he doesn't waste your money getting unnecessary fillings. I had first gone to an arrogant and obnoxious dentist at the Westview mall, not the ped dentist but another one, in the same building. He told me she had 8 cavities, I went to my dentist Glen Joyce for a second opinion and he told me she only had one cavity.

He is very good with kids, is not condescending, doesn't tell you all the BS about BF being the cause of teeth rotting etc...

He's great.

Can't say enough about him.

He has two young girls himself and knows how to be with children. And he's cheaper than most dentists.

·
Registered
179 Posts
thanks for organizing this thread ksenia.

i'm not sure when i'm ever going to get over my grief and guilt about what happened to ds1 and his teeth. my guilt is from letting his teeth get so bad, and my grief over the possiblity that the dentist we chose was wrong, but it was too late to turn back.

i need to stop beating myself up and feel good that ds has a fresh start now. however, his mouth is totally different than before - he has a mouthful of stainless steel crowns. good thing a kid his age isn't self conscious! i just hope it stays that way.

i'm still working on getting some blue ice clo and butter oil from a distributor in alberta. stay tuned.

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
I've had my dentist since I was 4, and he will be ds's dentist. His name is Dr. Gregory Card and his office is on Cambie near SW Marine Dr.
He is a VERY gentle dentist. My whole family see's him and my Aunt fell asleep during a root canal.
He usually starts seeing kids when they are 3 (unless there is something wrong)

We have been seeing the Coastal Health/Dental on Commercial and 1st.
This is a place I would not recommend. Especially if there is something wrong.
-VERY pro flouride
-VERY pro flouride varnish
-blamed breastfeeding for the cause of ds's decay
-shrugged off talk of genetics
-no one on their staff had heard about using Xylitol for a healthy mouth.
-shrugged off talk of my bacteria causing ds's decay
-PLUS
I had to answer the same questions about 6 different times everythime I went. That got very frustrating.

I will be bringing ds to Dr. Card instead.

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
lunagal . it seems that you're not alone in dealing with your child's dental challenges
. i blame our government for not doing the prevention research here. what is going on that some children seem unusually at risk for problems?

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
Ksenia, I truly do chalk it up to genetics (ok, not genetics, specifically, but introduction of the caries-causing bacteria, coupled with genes for enamel strength, deep vs. shallow pits in the teeth, spaced teeth vs. crowded teeth...)

and then there's the dietary argument made by weston a price, which I can't link to because my neck is kinked and I need to go stretch!

·
Registered
179 Posts
i have finally heard back from the cnd distibutor for blue ice clo.
after much shopping around, this is the best deal.
shipping from alberta will probably cost only an extra $1 - $2/bottle, when shared.
www.familyherbalclinic.com

price list here

please reply to this thread if you want to participate. the blue ice clo is the brand recommended by weston a price.
see this thread or this one for more info

i expect to order at least 1 case of the clo and several bottles of the x facor butter oil. if we can get 12 of the bo, it will be cheaper.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
i'll participate, thanks for doing the work!

if you need me to get more than this to fill out the order, i can increase my order, but for now i'd just like to get 2 bottles of the blue ice capsules, 1 bottle of the blue ice fluid, and 1 bottle of the x-factor butter oil.

i have my own cavity, definitely from a year of nonstop chocolate
. since i've now managed to cease all sugar, i thought i would experiment on my own healing rather than get it filled quite yet.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I am definiteky in... I have a feeling that you will need to move this post to the coop board... if you read the rules at the top they wille xplain how to set up a coop... basically you submit a thread and it gets posted after a mod approves it... I am not sure if you meet the post count requirments to runa coop... perhaps for our groups purposes since we know each other IRL to some degree
we could start an email list or yahoo group for interested people? anyways I have to take a better look but I am definitely in for the CLO

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
I can not spend one single dollar on any non-necessities right now (though I did take advantage of Dr. Mercola's cast iron pots at nearly half off, with the whole US dollar on par thing, after I found bits of teflon in our annie's a few days ago
: ) but will you please give a last chance reminder right before you place the order just in case I can order some then?

thanks!
:

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
I'm definitely in.....and will post what I want soon! Right now I'm just quickly checking emails before running out the door!

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Hey Janet! I meant to say hello when you posted in the other thread, but I think it got lost in the shuffle and MOthering was down for a bit, etc - but so glad to hear that it's going well for you guys over there!! Sounds like we need to come visit you over a full moon sometime!!!!! Have you started a local knitting group yet?!!! Keep in touch with us all.....

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
We are in for the CLO, too! We'll take 2 bottles of orange flavour CLO and one bottle of the X-Factor Butter Oil.

Has anyone tried the liquid yet? Flavoured or unflavoured? Did it have any unpleasant taste?

1 - 20 of 213 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.