Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Vancouver(ish) Doctors for Children

This is a thread for keeping track of Vancouver area Doctors who work with children. Please add to it by posting:
  • a review of your child's general practitioner (accepting new patients?)
  • a review of a clinic
  • a review of a pediatrician
  • a review of your complementary care practitioner if you have opted out of conventional medical care
Please go to the Health and Healing Forum for questions and answers on health care in general.

I will be quoting some posts below - please let me know if you do not wish to be quoted.

You can also look up local M.D.s on the RateMDs.com site.

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Heights Medical & Laser Center
4446 Hastings Street
Clinic Hours: Mon - Fri: 9 a.m. - 7 p.m. Sat: 9 a.m. - 3 p.m.
Phone: 604-298-4491

This is a laser center and a walk-in clinic
. [Wait times have generally been short] edited to add that it has gotten a lot busier! Reception was very pleasant too - unusual IME (I guess exclusively publicly funded clinics don't have to be polite to patients

We have had positive experiences with Dr. McNeill there - he was generous with tests/referrals and conservative with abx prescription. Didn't lecture us about vaxing (we have declined vaxes), was supportive of my nursing 3 yo ds, and recommended Vit D for immune support. He phoned us at home with test results and was excellent with follow-up.

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kensington Medical Clinic
6546 Hastings St
Burnaby BC, V5B 1S2
Phone: 604-299-9769

We have had mixed experiences here. It is generally very busy, especially on weekends. We have been there at times when it wasn't very busy, yet there was garbage on the floor and it looked quite dirty
. They won't give test results on the phone, so you can never really be sure that they followed through and got the test results back (we suspect that they didn't follow through on getting test results back in at least one case). They don't give office hours on their outgoing phone message so I am never quite sure if they're open.

Dr. Guralnick, Pediatrician - we saw her there (referred by a GP) and she was very nice, good with ds, and did appropriate referrals

Dr. Winter, Dermatologist - nice, but gave ds a test then went on vacation - didn't get back to us with a positive test result for over a month
:

We saw two other doctors (one GP and one pediatrician) there who had terrible bedside manners with ds
: - sorry can't remember names. At times we have also had to deal with student doctors, which has been stressful when sick ds, who hates being poked and prodded at the best of times, has had to go through the whole rigamarole twice.

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by sphinxie View Post
I saw Dr Moore here: http://www.sageclinic.com/ I was referred to that clinic by my lovely naturopaths back in california. I liked Dr Moore, and she did great things for my health, but if I could go back in time I might try another doctor because I think others may be even better--she is a bit intense/gung-ho

:

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Oh great!

First I want to add cause I wasn't that clear--there are other doctors at that clinic. I talked to Dr. Veeravagu a few times and he struck me as being very calm and thoughtful.

We're also looking for a GP, preferably in the Commercial Drive area or nearby--for the whole blended family and any future arrivals.

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
Dr. Nardia Strydom

I can't say enough great things about our precious Nardia. We aren't doctor goers, but we've been in to see her a lot lately for adoption related medical exams, and I was reminded of how great she is when she sang happy birthday to Lucy as we dragged her around for medical exam stuff on her birthday, poor kid. Our non-vaxing is a total non-issue, she never rushes, is really respectful and thorough, very grounded, and suggested gentian violet for my thrush, which was the only thing that worked.

unfortunately, I highly doubt she's taking patients, but it would be worth getting on a waiting list if they're keeping one.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tiffani View Post
Dr. Nardia Strydom

I can't say enough great things about our precious Nardia....Our non-vaxing is a total non-issue, she never rushes, is really respectful and thorough, very grounded, and suggested gentian violet for my thrush, which was the only thing that worked.

unfortunately, I highly doubt she's taking patients, but it would be worth getting on a waiting list if they're keeping one.

I'll echo that she is fantastic! She was my doula's doctor too, and after interviewing her, we decided on her for my DS1's prenatal and birth. We fired my GP for the birth, who although great, just wasn't Nardia! She was there for his birth and visited many times during the five days Ds1 was in NICU.

I've been on a wait list since December 2001, and I believe if anything she may have down-sized her patient load a little. She may still take birthing clients though, as was our case.

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
Dr. Helen Ting is a pretty good doc. I wouldn't say she's perfect (but who is
) She's in Vancouver near Oak and 8th
She has a wonderful bedside manner, and is great with kids.
She's ok with us delaying vax, and will help us with a selective vax schedule (if we actually get around to vaxing)
Is supportive of extended bf, although him nursing 10x a day is 'too much'
Has never asked about sleep.

I dislike her front desk people though, but I don't think she chose them. Their are several doc's who share the office.

I think she's accepting new patients

·
Registered
14 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sphinxie View Post
We're also looking for a GP, preferably in the Commercial Drive area or nearby--for the whole blended family and any future arrivals.
We go to Dr. David Thomson on E10th. He's a really nice doctor with great follow-through. After I saw him about PPD, he would actually call to check up and see how I was doing. He's also great about breastfeeding, delaying vax's, all that stuff, except he does get a bit confused trying to do up cloth diapers :p I'm not sure if he's taking new patients but his address is 406 - 1750 E 10th Ave, and the number is 604-872-1672. I highly recommend him!

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ksenia View Post
Heights Medical & Laser Center
4446 Hastings Street
Clinic Hours: Mon - Fri: 9 a.m. - 7 p.m. Sat: 9 a.m. - 3 p.m.
Phone: 604-298-4491

This is a laser center and a walk-in clinic
. Wait times have generally been short. Reception was very pleasant too - unusual IME (I guess exclusively publicly funded clinics don't have to be polite to patients

We have had positive experiences with Dr. McNeill there - he was generous with tests/referrals and conservative with abx prescription. Didn't lecture us about vaxing (we have declined vaxes), was supportive of my nursing 3 yo ds, and recommended Vit D for immune support. He phoned us at home with test results and was excellent with follow-up.
Dr S Patel (Sorry don't know how to spell her first name) has recently moved there from Hastings Village med clinic, where I had seen her several times. She's alright, but doesn't seem exactly AP friendly. Out of the blue at DS's 4mo visit, she asked if I would be weaning him soon! I did some vaxing with her and didn't tell her I would be doing selective/delayed, so didn't get her take on that. OK with the kids but not spectacular.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I like Dr P Jaffer pretty well from the Hastings Village Medical Clinic - 298-7806. He's not entirely supportive of delayed/selective vaxing, but I think will tolorate me doing that with DS. He seems pro BFing, and was pretty relaxed about DS being small for his age (another Dr got really concerned with DD being small and ended up getting tons of tests, etc).

Dr Keyvan Hadad - pediatrician was looking after DD because she was underweight. I really liked him - very kid friendly, and thorough, although somewhat mainstream. He did a gamut of tests and concluded she was fine and just tiny (like me!). He's at 1750 E 10th near Commercial Dr.

Dr James Bergman - ped derm. 800 block W Broadway, 876-4433, I think. I went to see him for DD's and DS's eczema. He's really mainstream, but very, very thorough and knowledgeable. He has knowledge of naturopathic, homeopathic, TCM, etc, but is rather skeptical.

Dr Debra Gibson - TCM, Acupuncturist http://acupuncturenow.com/. Hycroft Med Bldg at Granville/16th. I did NAET with her for DD (peanut allergy) and DS (eczema) and she does it differently (and faster) than other practitioners. I'm not entirely sure it works, but thought it was worth a try. The eczema was way better, then worse and now not bad, but there are so many variables. The peanut allergy we can only test through blood and that would be next June. She said it could take a few years for the body to adjust but all her patients at least got better (allergy less severe).

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Dr Angelo Mazzarella at Seymour Medical Clinic, 7th Ave & Granville. this clinic is taking new patients and works with UBC so has lots of student/resident family care physicians. They are very professional.

He's so worth the drive for us! In fact, I never trusted a doctor before I met him. Fabulous. We were introduced to him by our midwife and I am so pleased.

He really listens. Is authentically interested in helping people, and is intimately familiar with AP and Natural Family lifestyle. In fact, he's so great, that he's not my doctor anymore because we're now family-friends!

Dr Lee at Kensignton Drop In made me happy the first time I met her (can't remember her first name, sorry!) because she agreed with me that we should wait for my throats swabs to come back positive before she prescribed antibiotics.

CarePoint on Sixth Street in New Westminster is a TERRIBLE!! walk in clinic. Bad service, bad advice, not thoughful, not helpful.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Dr. Dorel Kniefel in Kits is the worst doctor I have ever had. She's really cool with AP, non vaxing and alternative medicine but she clocks your visits, only allows one question or issue per visit unless you pay her "extra" fee and is cold. My husband, who is one of the most tolerant people i know goes as far as to call her negligent. Am curious if anyone else has experience with her?

·
Registered
10,959 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alison's Mom View Post
Dr Keyvan Hadad - pediatrician was looking after DD because she was underweight. I really liked him - very kid friendly, and thorough, although somewhat mainstream.
We were sent to Dr. Hadad for DS's behavioural issues. While his office is loaded with formula swag, he was fantastic. He spent 45 minutes talking with me, he was kind and had a wonderful bedside manner. And he said the book he recommends to all his patients is "Emotional Intelligence". He seemed quite pro-GD. His assistant is also a wonderful girl who babysat the kids while we spoke.

Our family doctor is Dr. Winnie Su at Broadway near Arbutus. Can't say enough great things about her. She really IS perfect, lol! Sweet, sweet lady. Totally supportive of all our choices (extended BF, selective and delayed vaxing) and she even let me provide her with LLL leaflets for her office. Unfortunately I don't think she is taking new patients, but I think another doctor in her office might be.

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by tiffani View Post
Dr. Nardia Strydom
You're right, she's not accepting patients...

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So I finally made an appointment with Dr. Helen Ting but I'm a little disappointed about her availability. Apparently she works on surgeries in the mornings, and closes her office at 4 PM in the afternoons. If you make an appointment with her, there is no guarantee that she will actually be the doctor attending the appointment
. So that means afternoon appointments involving lots of driving when dd should be napping, and not necessarily being able to build up a rapport with a specific doctor.

I think I will cancel if I find a better option. All 3 of us really need to see the doctor though.

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
We saw Dr. Ting. I was disappointed that the large multi-Dr. waiting room had no toys
:. It made the waiting time much more stressful. Dr. Ting did patiently go through my list of issues with me (we hadn't seen a Dr. in a while) and did take the time to address all of them. I got a referral for ds without having to argue for it and she didn't seem to reach beyond her expertise. I felt extremely ill at ease with her though - her style was so detached and impersonal. Her face was expressionless throughout the appointment and she didn't show any reaction to anything I said (including divulging having had an unassisted birth, for example).

·
Registered
228 Posts
our family doctor is Michelle Linekin. I found her after I had the babies and was referred to her by my doula. One of the reasons for choosing her is that she is a mama of twins too.
I love taking the babies to see her. I never feel rushed and she takes all of my concerns seriously. She had no problem referring us when she thought there might be a problem with DS's hips. When we first met she explained that if either of the babies were quite sick I could call the office and bring them in the same day. If she isn't in then we just see one of the other doctors in the practice, but that hasn't happened yet. She is also part of the Family Practice Maternity Service program with BCW hospital.

Our pediatrician is Paul Thiessen. He was the ped that attended the babies' birth. I love him. We saw him for the babies first month checkup and again when we though there might be a problem with DS's hips. He is very pro BF and seemed quite supportive of AP practices except selective vax. I do not care for the woman at the front desk, she is quite abrassive on the phone, but we don't go there to see her so I let it slide but if we do go back I will mention it to him.

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
I'm sorry you were disappointed with Dr. Ting, Ksenia.
When I first saw her, I had already met with at least 5 doctors, and they all ranged from horrible to worse. One didn't know what a midwife does, one's primary focus was botox injections, one was VERY pushy on vax, and the other two, I've erased from my mind

When I found Dr. Ting, she was the best I'd seen. It seems like everyone that was seeing new patients were the bottom of the barrel doctors, and compared to the other Doc's I met with, she was a dream.

I find it wierd as well that they have no toys in the waiting room, but I love that there is lots of space and couches to jump and run on

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.