Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I didn't know if this had been posted in the main forum already, but it showed up in my feed today and since the varicella vaccine is one many S&Ders forego, I thought I'd post this here.

http://neurosciencenews.com/glioma-brain-cancer-chicken-pox-3942/

In one of the largest studies to date, an international consortium led by researchers in the Dan L Duncan Comprehensive Cancer Center at Baylor College of Medicine reported an inverse relationship between a history of chicken pox and glioma, a type of brain cancer, meaning that children who have had the chicken pox may be less likely to develop brain cancer.
In the study, the team reviewed information from the Glioma International Case-Control Study is a large, multi-site consortium with data on 4533 cases and 4171 controls collected across five countries.

They found a 21 percent reduced risk of developing glioma with a positive history of chicken pox. Furthermore, they identified the protective effective was greater in higher grade gliomas.
Thoughts? Personally, I think we're delaying the varicella vaccine until the senior high school years...I had a uni friend who came down with chicken pox as an adult and it wasn't exactly pleasant for her. I probably wouldn't use "lower risk of brain cancer," as my main rationale for delaying, but I think that it's interesting to see that there are possible benefits to natural infection for chicken pox that have not been examined in any great detail yet (and that must of course be balanced with the risk of shingles later). Food for thought as the mumps infection and decreased risk for ovarian cancer was.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Interesting. We're not 100% sure what will happen with the varicella vaccine for us. I'd prefer to delay it, but we may run into an issue with MMR only being available bundled with MMRV from the health department here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,851 Posts
Thanks. I had not heard of the link.

Reactions: japonica

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
Interesting. We're not 100% sure what will happen with the varicella vaccine for us. I'd prefer to delay it, but we may run into an issue with MMR only being available bundled with MMRV from the health department here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, that was our problem too. I probably wouldn't have got varicella but MMR was MMRV so...

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I managed to find MMR on its own in Perth...so that was no problem. I decided to wait on the Varicella and then found out that the Australian government recommendations were one dose only (yeah, take that for what it's worth given the Brunswick outbreak, but recs are recs, hey :wink:) until age 14 I believe it was, and then two doses recommended (if previously not vaccinated) after that age. So, given my modus operandi has always been "fewest shots and doses possible," it puts me in a bit of a predicament when waiting.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts