Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DH has what i think is varicose veins. He has a large vien that starts behind his knee and y ou can palpate it all the way up his thigh. he says in some parts its tender but his leg aches sooooo bad I feel really bad for him he can hardle walk. we are going to DR asap i am calling monday but can any one give me symptoms and how yours felt he is alittle worried HAte DRS hates Hospitals . so this is a real issue for him<br>
thanks

·
Registered
24,471 Posts
Varicose veins are hereditary.<br><br>
My mother has veins in the back of her leg that look like grenish blue ropes. My maternal grnadmother had legs that looked like road maps, even after the surgery they did no her in the 1940's. (saline solution injections)<br><br>
AT age 14, I noticed a blueish green vein surfacing on the inside of my left calf, below my knee. Also I had a band of broken capilllaries across the top of my right thigh above the knee that looked like 7's.<br><br>
I had always exercised (jogging, dancing, swimming) so I also elevated the bottom of my mattress, put my legs up during class on another chair (I am short, so my legs hang, adding pressure to the back of my thighs), made sure I was never constipated by eating plenty of fiber and fruit, and wore support hose even in junior high school.<br><br>
My legs never got any worse even through four pregnancies, and waiting tables as a young woman in college. I have the inherited tendency to get varicose veins, but I did everything I could not to get them.<br><br>
I read about certain tribes in Africa where varicose veins are unknown as the Masai. I also looked at how our Western lifestyle can aggravate a tendency towards having varicose veins. I made the intelligent adjustments that I knew I could and that was that! It worked so far. I am 49 now.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts