Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
.....The council's president, Cardinal Renato Martino, said the "suspension of all financing of Amnesty by Catholic organisations and by individuals" is the "inevitable consequence" of the group's recent decision to support access to abortion for women who had been raped or whose health was endangered by their pregnancy.

Amnesty Italy promptly said it did not receive any Vatican or Catholic Church funding anyway.

In a statement, Amnesty Italy said it had decided in April to involve itself in issues relating to abortion "to the extent that they are directly linked to its actions for the right to health and against violence against women....."

Whole story here; http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...9-2703,00.html

·
Premium Member
10,793 Posts
Wow. The Catholic church is getting more and more
:

·
Registered
3,959 Posts
The world is getting more and more
: The Church is simply continuing to adhere to the principle that human life is sacred and not be destroyed or otherwise messed with. The Church does not support abortion. The only change here was the organizations' decision to do so.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by tie-dyed View Post
The Church is simply continuing to adhere to the principle that human life is sacred and not be destroyed or otherwise messed with.
And who cares about a 12 years old pregnant girl, raped by her uncle. I guess that girl does not matter?

:

·
Banned
244 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kxsiven View Post
And who cares about a 12 years old pregnant girl, raped by her uncle. I guess that girl does not matter?

:
From Americancatholic.org: "Many question why the Church won't make specific exceptions for abortion when unborn children are conceived in rape or incest, or are disabled. They also feel that the Church is being unduly hard when it makes no exceptions for situations in which a mother will have her mental or physical health taxed as a result of carrying a baby to term and/or rearing the child. But consider the implications of making such exceptions. It would send them the message that people's value depends upon their physical condition, the circumstances of their conception or others' perception of them. "

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
You don't have to agree with the church's stance on abortion, particularly if it isn't your faith. PP is correct, the Catholic Church has ALWAYS held this belief and no one should be shocked if they pull funding from an organization that decides to back abortions.

·
Banned
244 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arduinna View Post
Well I love how the Church says they are revoking funding when they don't fund it anyway
and then people come in to say that they support the revocation of funding

"suspension of all financing of Amnesty by Catholic organisations and by individuals"

I think they are calling for Catholics and Catholic organizations to stop supporting Amnesty. I don't think they said that the Vatican itself would stop supporting them, because it sounds like they weren't giving them money to start with..

·
Registered
3,959 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arduinna View Post
Well I love how the Church says they are revoking funding when they don't fund it anyway
and then people come in to say that they support the revocation of funding

It's quite likely that there is funding going on, on a parish or diocesan scale that must be rectifed. Certainly there are individual Catholics who contribute to this organization who now have guidance on rethinking that decision.

eta: looks like we x-posted...

·
Premium Member
10,793 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SharonAnne View Post
You don't have to agree with the church's stance on abortion, particularly if it isn't your faith. PP is correct, the Catholic Church has ALWAYS held this belief and no one should be shocked if they pull funding from an organization that decides to back abortions.
To clarify. I am an EX-Catholic. I was baptised, 1st communion and married in the Catholic Church. Oh and most of my family is either still Catholic or non practicing or as I am Agnostic now. So its not like I'm a Baptist (using Baptist because my Husband, who is also Agnostic was a non practicing one )making these comments. I was a Catholic up till the last 5 years or so. So 35 years!
:

·
Registered
3,959 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by KatWrangler View Post
To clarify. I am an EX-Catholic. I was baptised, 1st communion and married in the Catholic Church. Oh and most of my family is either still Catholic or non practicing or as I am Agnostic now. So its not like I'm a Baptist (using Baptist because my Husband, who is also Agnostic was a non practicing one )making these comments. I was a Catholic up till the last 5 years or so. So 35 years!
:
Um, ok. That doesn't change that the Church's position hasn't changed.

·
Banned
244 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by KatWrangler View Post
:
She didn't say that you had to agree with it, she just said it shouldn't come as any surprise. I would guess that to somebody like you with lots of previous Catholic experience, it probably is no surprise at all.

·
Premium Member
10,793 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by secondseconds View Post
She didn't say that you had to agree with it, she just said it shouldn't come as any surprise. I would guess that to somebody like you with lots of previous Catholic experience, it probably is no surprise at all.
okie dokie that makes more sense.
I just so riled up with church/religion. It makes me upset and angry for several reasons which we can't discuss here. I have strong emotions about it as you can see.

·
Registered
717 Posts
No, not surprising at all.
:

And of course the Church has not always had this stance on abortion. Anyone who believes otherwise should pick up a history book.

·
Registered
9,299 Posts
I as far away from Catholic as one can be, but I'll say that while I don't agree with the Church's position, I do find it consistent.

IMO, it is far more consistent for them to say, "All human life is sacred," than to say, "All human life not resulting from rape or incest is sacred." I do not agree with the former, but it makes much more sense to me than the latter position.

I doubt I can say much more without "debating abortion".

·
Registered
3,959 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by suzywan View Post
No, not surprising at all.
:

And of course the Church has not always had this stance on abortion. Anyone who believes otherwise should pick up a history book.
A history book written by whom?

·
Registered
4,878 Posts
Just a friendly reminder from your mod to keep the thread on topic and please don't let this one get out of hand. Remember to stay within the User Agreement when posting. Thanks.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Any Church history book. It's not exactly a secret. Ensoulation (word?) was believed to occur many days after conception. It took longer for girls to get them, natch.

As for consistency...... I don't know. RC hierarchy is supposedly just as against the death penalty as abortion, and yet has no problem cozying up to the US. And hasn't issued any "fatwahs" calling for instant excommunication for RC politicians that support it. I guess some life is more valuable than others.....

The Church does support justifiable war. So sometimes it is OK to kill others. NOTHING is black and white.

·
Registered
9,270 Posts
The Catholic Church has always been anti-abortion. Nothing has changed. Our family doesn't support causes that support abortion because it's against our believes. My mother was raised Catholic and left the Church because she disagreed with them on a few big issues, abortion being one of them.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.