Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son is vaccinated. Luckily we've had no ill effects from that and he tolerated it well. However, with this baby I would like to be more selective in the vaccinating. I have heard of different methods of vaccinating as well as different "timelines" for getting this done (i.e. I heard one method was called something like "Down with Autism"). I was wondering peoples' experience with selective vaccinating was and if anyone had any good info they could link me to regarding this. DH is pro-vax, and I want to be armed with good info when i tell him what we're doing!! thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
5,327 Posts
I would ask this in the vax board. They have tons of info over there!

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
I liked the book what your doctor may not tell you about your child's vaccinations.

I think a good compromise is to wait until your child is 3 or 4 and then vax one at a time. None of the combinations like MMR.

Maybe the vax board has more info.

Angelika

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by angelika13
I liked the book what your doctor may not tell you about your child's vaccinations.

I think a good compromise is to wait until your child is 3 or 4 and then vax one at a time. None of the combinations like MMR.

Maybe the vax board has more info.

Angelika
I agree with the book suggestion and the single doses. However, you'll be hard pressed to find some of the vaccines in single doses. I want to say it's one of the Ms of the MMR that you can't get single anymore... and from what I've recently read they are no longer making tetnus without the diptheria (please forgive my spelling on those) added for initial shots (may still be available as a booster). This is all info I've heard on a vax board on another site - I admit that I'm not that up-to-date on it because we have chosen to to vaccinate at all at this time.

I do encourage you to do YOUR research and make YOUR decision (you meaning you and hubby). I also agree with putting off the shots until your child has more body-mass than 8 or 10 pounds if you are going to vaccinate. The vax board will be quite helpful!

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I can tell you what we did with dd#1....

We did the DTaP & Polio, only. Finished those and now I am doing the MMR series, only.

I might wait and start these vaccinations when this next baby is older. I did dd when she was 2 mo, as the schedule suggests.

I believe a lot of the problems with vaccines are the load (so many introduced at once). I alos evaluate the severity of the issue (sure, chicken pox COULD kill her, but most likely won't).

Also, I think I've read that boys tend to be more sensitive to vaccines and their side effects?! Am I making this up or has anyone else read this?!

·
Registered
12,213 Posts
My biggest bit of advice is don't vaccinate at all until you are sure! The vax forum here is a wonderful source of info and info that you aren't going to get most other places. There are also some good books written about vaxes, I believe there is a list of them in the vax forum here.

This link is from the vax archives here and it has a lot of info all in the same place and a list of the books (this will give you a great start on your research).

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...ad.php?t=57794

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheacoby
My biggest bit of advice is don't vaccinate at all until you are sure!
:

Not in your group, but had to pop in. The advice I always give undecided moms is don't vax until you're sure. You can always vax later. You can never take them back.

We planned to selectively vax on a delayed schedule. When I did my research we decided not to vax at all.

-Angela

·
Registered
231 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by angelika13
Ditto. It is a good book.

With DD, we started vaxing at 12 months, and did the DTaP first, then Polio. Now we are done with those until she's 4 yrs old, so we will probably start the MMR at some point, but not until she's closer to 3 I think.

I'm not sure if we will vax this baby the same way or not.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts