Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DH and I were talking last night....We were wondering what vaccines the two of us received when we were kids. Does anyone know or have a reference I could check out?

Between the two of us, we don't know any person our age who has had any type of developmental problem. DS is now 4 mos. and the doc wants to start shots (which we are trying to hold off until at least one year due to Autism in my sib's families). We think that if the shots that we received worked o.k. for us, why not do the same with DS? I'm sure that there are a ton more nowadays.

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
Why give the ones you got at all? What if the chance of catching those diseases is SOOOO low?

I was born in 1975 and I had:

OPV
DPT
MMR

-Angela

·
Registered
160 Posts
I didn't realize that MMR was given so far back.
Also- what was the vax that us 'oldies' have that left the scar on your arm??

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lasergirl
I didn't realize that MMR was given so far back.
Also- what was the vax that us 'oldies' have that left the scar on your arm??
The scar is from smallpox.

-Angela

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I'm looking at my childhood vax record right now. I was born in '73 and here is what I got:

3 DTP
4 OPV
1 Measles
1 Mumps
1 Rubella (all seperate)

In the 80's (boosters) I got 1 MMR and a DPT a Tetanus and tine Tb tests pretty often.

I knew kids who had developmental problems. My brother and sister both did (ADD and ADHD and some other problems) yet no one really diagnosed kids with those things back then. Neither of them were diagnosed until they were in their 20's.

I think vaccine certainly play a role in some of the childhood problems we see now, but I think there is just a LOT more to it than vax's. In my youngest childs playgroup where at *least* half of the kids are totally unvax'ed and the rest have had very few they have all sorts of allergies, one is autistic and another is in the spectrum, quite a few have asthma, food allergies, etc etc etc.

·
Registered
325 Posts
:
I think a lot of problems today have to do not only with vaxes, but with not enough education about the importance of breastfeeding, and starting solids too soon. I'm sure there's 101 other variables, too.

·
Registered
832 Posts
My mom and I were just talking about this last week. I was born in 1978 in MD and I have my shot record. I got 3 DPT, 2 MMR (one was at 15 months and the other at age 5), and 3 OPV. At 12 I had another MMR and a tetanus. At 19 I stupidly got the series of three Hep B (nursing school - could've refused but I was pro-vax back then) and another tetanus. Oh, and I got a TIG at the ER when I was 3 after I stepped on a rusty nail. Never mind I was fully vaxed and only 3 years old so I had definitely had a tetanus in the previous 7 years!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Carrin- Other things to consider:
- the MMR vax is 1 shot right now- it was separate in our day. That is ALOT of chemicals for a little body to process all at once.
- there are really no long term studies done on what these vax's do to us. I mean studies done over 30 or 40 years.

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carrin
DH and I were talking last night....We were wondering what vaccines the two of us received when we were kids. Does anyone know or have a reference I could check out?

Between the two of us, we don't know any person our age who has had any type of developmental problem. DS is now 4 mos. and the doc wants to start shots (which we are trying to hold off until at least one year due to Autism in my sib's families). We think that if the shots that we received worked o.k. for us, why not do the same with DS? I'm sure that there are a ton more nowadays.
What is your definition of not OK? The year I got my kindergarten vaccinations I contracted Shingles (my doc said the only case he had ever seen in a 5 yo in 30 years), a kidney infection and Mono. I have always wondered if these were related to the shots I got that assaulted my immune system. I remember the TB test they did on me. I don't consider my self healthy. I have a weird fungus growing on my feet I haven't been able to eradicate in 4 years, I have warts and I am allergic to everything. I don't consider that health but I don't have Autism so does that mean I am healthy?

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by lyttlewon
What is your definition of not OK? The year I got my kindergarten vaccinations I contracted Shingles (my doc said the only case he had ever seen in a 5 yo in 30 years), a kidney infection and Mono. I have always wondered if these were related to the shots I got that assaulted my immune system. I remember the TB test they did on me. I don't consider my self healthy. I have a weird fungus growing on my feet I haven't been able to eradicate in 4 years, I have warts and I am allergic to everything. I don't consider that health but I don't have Autism so does that mean I am healthy?
I know, it's such a delicate thing... On one hand, the vaccines can prevent so much stuff...but on the other hand, they can also cause so much stuff! What do you do? Like I said, I'm just so worried because of the amount of developmental problems in my family. It's becoming such a scary issue for me.

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
Quote:

I know, it's such a delicate thing... On one hand, the vaccines can prevent so much stuff...but on the other hand, they can also cause so much stuff!
What do they prevent? Normal, mild, childhood illness....

-Angela

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My concern is over the stuff like Meningitis, Tetanus....those nasty things that can really do some deadly damage. I know that the pox, flu, pneumonia, measles are stuff that I've had in my childhood...so that doesn't worry me. Just the stuff that can put him in the hospital.

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
Quote:

My concern is over the stuff like Meningitis, Tetanus....those nasty things that can really do some deadly damage.
Well, the meningitis vaccines have done nothing to lower the total number of cases, just changed the types (and you were never vaxed against it....)

Tetanus is not a disease of the young or healthy. Never has been. Basically tetanus is unheard of in children. Always has been.

-Angela

·
Registered
10,813 Posts
Quote:

My concern is over the stuff like Meningitis, Tetanus
You are concerning yourself with illness that are so uncommon (even prevaccine era) - you have a better chance hitting Lotto.

Tetanus is not deadly in unvaccinated children. That is a fact we know right from CDC data.

Bacterial meningitis (which is extremely rare, even prevaccine era) can be deadly; however, viral meningitis is pretty much 100% recoverable.

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
LongIsland said:
You are concerning yourself with illness that are so uncommon (even prevaccine era) - you have a better chance hitting Lotto.QUOTE]

That's scary, cause my dad actually did win the Lotto when I was 13 years old! LOL

·
Registered
43,705 Posts
OK, one adult you knew won the lotto ONCE during your entire childhood. How many people do you know who never won the lotto? How many years did your dad remain Lotto-free?

Back on topic: once a vaccine is given, you can't take it out. You can always "catch up" later. My advice is: if in doubt, delay the vax.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Quote:
The scar is from smallpox.
OT, but there's something I've been wondering. I don't have a scar. Does the shot always leave a scar?

·
Registered
15,239 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by alegna
Why give the ones you got at all? What if the chance of catching those diseases is SOOOO low?

I was born in 1975 and I had:

OPV
DPT
MMR

-Angela
I was born in 1970. Add smallpox to that list.

·
Registered
15,239 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dingogirl
OT, but there's something I've been wondering. I don't have a scar. Does the shot always leave a scar?
My doc gave the shot in the butt because too many girls complained about the scar. Just an FYI.

Update to my earlier post. I don't think I got the MMR until I was 12 since I had both Rubella and the Mumps as a child.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts