Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before Sam was born (and I found out he had DS) I had decided not to vaccinate my baby. All of the many doctors who treat Sam (now almost 10 months old) keep telling me how important it is for him to be vaccinated because of the Down's.

I had three of them tell me early on that he should get Prevnar and Menjugate, because if he were to get this type of infection he could end up deaf. I looked into them and found no reported dangerous side effects, so I decided to go ahead with them. After he had had two of the three doses, I read a new report that shows that these two vaccines cause a greater succeptability to the other - less commmon and more dangerous - bacterial bugs
. He never had the third dose of these vaccines.

Now I have Sam's pediatrician pushing the MMR because if he gets measles and an ear infection afterward, again, he could end up deaf. Our family doctor is very concerned about Pertussis, as apparently it is in our community and is very serious in the very young. She has seen two babies (both under two months old, but still) die of it in the last two months.

My questions are:
1. If the DS gives Sam a poor immune system and makes him more succeptable to illnesses, wouldn't it also make him more succeptable to a bad reaction to the vaccine?
2. How much faith should I have in these physicians' advice, given that they were all educated the same way?
3. What the hell should I do?

I feel *so* conflicted about this. If I don't vaccinate and Sam gets really sick with permanent damage done, I will never forgive myself. If I do vaccinate and Sam has a serious reaction, I will never forgive myself.

What have you other DS mamas done? Is there any information about this out there? Thanks for any advice you can give me,
 

· Registered
Joined
·
9,359 Posts
Hi Rachel! I don't have any answers. You might want to check in the Vaccinations forum for any info on vaxing and Down Syndrome. Sorry I can't be of more help!
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,888 Posts
I'm really pressed for time now.....I'll come back in a few days to answer in more detail.

But, I'll say this much: my Duncan is not vaxed. He has had chicken pox thus far and came thru it fine. I boost his immune system with vitamins....extra C and CLO.

The dr's are selling fear. Don't buy it w/o fully informing yourself.

El
 

· Registered
Joined
·
917 Posts
This question scares me and causes me so much frustration for the exact same reasons you mentioned. I feel it was a "damned-if-you-do/damned-if-you-don't situation". We went ahead with vaccinations b/c I was scared. Now, I'm scared I did the wrong thing. I don't know what advice to offer you but I did want to admit to having vaccinated. I still don't know if it was the right thing to do but it's what EVERY SINGLE doctor/specialist we saw recommended. Now, I'm struggling with whether or not to do the flu shot this year. We did it last year with no repercussions. I just don't know. I am very glad you asked though, even though I'm afraid the answers you get are going to make me feel worse.
~ Brook
 

· Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did check the Vaccinations forum and couldn't find anything about DS. I had the librarian at the Down Syndrome Research Foundation do a search on the topic for me, and all I got was from a British DS organization that recommended the vaxes, and another parents' discussion group where the parents are as confused and conflicted as we are!

At the moment I am leaning toward asking my doctor for a Rx for a single vax for Pertussis. If it is unavailable, I think I may just keep Sam unvaxed. But of course I have the doctors and my MIL pressuring me to "protect" the little guy. My dh is as conflicted as I am. I have Sam on several Chinese herbal formulas provided by my BIL, a TCM practitioner. They seem to have kept his immune system quite strong since he was born.

I'll update you when I've made a decision. Thanks for your help.

Rachel
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,706 Posts
I had the same thing with Veronica but she had a heart condition on top of it all. She is 6 months old and will not be vaxed. Thankfully my DH agrees.

I did post regarding this on the Vax board and someone pointed out that the vaxes are tested for typical children. So that was enough for me. Especially with DD's heart too.

I agree with what Els' 3 ones said. They try to scare you. I also agree with what you said about being extra succeptable with the lowered immune system. Makes sense to me.

Sorry for rambleing. Just wanted to let you know you are not alone in your choice.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top