Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am curious to know why they are not allowed to get vaccines while sick, and what could happen if they do?

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
Because when you are sick, your immune system is weakened. If you vax while sick, that further overwhelms the already overburdened resources and you can end up with a very serious reaction.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
right, so it can make the possible reactions worse? is there a law against it, i wonder? are docters taught in medical school about vaxing while sick, or are they told by the pharm companies or anything?

i am curious because my friend's dd was vaxed last year (possibly more than a year ago...?) while sick-and it seems to have made her sick. can the doctor get in trouble, i wonder?

thanks.

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
I believe they are cautioned against it, but I know they do it routinely

Not sure of the legality, but my guess is that the doctor will deny that the vax had anything to do with it and will call her health problems "a coincidence." That's the usual MO.

·
Banned
11,133 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by delicious
right, so it can make the possible reactions worse? is there a law against it, i wonder? are docters taught in medical school about vaxing while sick, or are they told by the pharm companies or anything?

i am curious because my friend's dd was vaxed last year (possibly more than a year ago...?) while sick-and it seems to have made her sick. can the doctor get in trouble, i wonder?

thanks.
Pres. Bush passed a law that protects the vaccine manufacturers, but there have been lawsuits against individual Doctors/clinics, so, yes, it might be possible, then again, the parents are supposed to make informed and educated decisions before hand.

If a parent doesn't take the time to read the warnings and precautions, then that is their fault, not the doctor's.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bleh that sounds like blaming the victim. either way, thanks for the link.

i know when my own dd had reactions at 4 months (we stopped vaxing at 9 mo) the docs kept passing it off as something else. it must be gas, it must be teething, maybe i should switch to formula, bleh bleh bleh. so i am familiar iwth that attitude.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts