Mothering Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1184 Posts

·
Registered
18,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think this story is getting rather interesting. What exactly were the people who tried to get Vaxxed out of Tribeca hoping to accomplish?

Did they want the film to pop up in other festivals? Manhattan Film Festival and Silver Springs have added the film.
http://manhattanff.com/event/vaxxed-from-cover-up-to-catastrophe/
http://www.ocala.com/article/20160404/GO/160409906

Then the film was invited down in Houston and then uninvited. The guy running the film festival was very open about why he had to drop the film and his letter is turning up all over the place. http://truthbarrier.com/2016/04/06/...ficials-threaten-film-festival-vaxxed-pulled/

The Guardian ran an article where...I'll just let you read about it yourselves. https://medium.com/@jbhandley/backf...e-movie-vaxxed-into-a-53b7c849a13f#.w8s5vpj4q

I'm allowing myself to feel very faintly hopeful that this process will turn into a wake-up call for more people. I've certainly rarely seen a klutzier attempt to bury an inconvenient story. :wink:

Reactions: Anne Jividen

·
Registered
8,851 Posts
All I can say is I hope it is good. A lot of people will now (tee-hee) watch it online.

·
Registered
18,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just wanted to say that if the word "censorship" offends people here, who don't think that any of this constitutes censorship, just let me know and I'll edit the title. You need to let me know what word or terminology fits the situation and I'll use it.

I'm not really that interested in devoting the thread to an argument over whether this is or is not censorship. My question is whether the strategy being pursued by the people who obviously do not want people to see Vaxxed is working or not working.

·
Registered
8,487 Posts
I read a historical fiction novel about Dietrich Bonhoeffer. In response to Fascist censorship, German university students made their own anti-Hitler fliers and showered them down into the courtyard. They were caught. :( But the bottom line is that you can't stop people from getting a message out. (Yea. Just call me Godwin's Outlaw. :Sheepish)

Sometimes I think that the Gorskis of the world won't be happy until we have Chinese-style Internet censorship.

·
Registered
18,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I read a historical fiction novel about Dietrich Bonhoeffer. In response to Fascist censorship, German university students made their own anti-Hitler fliers and showered them down into the courtyard. They were caught. :( But the bottom line is that you can't stop people from getting a message out. (Yea. Just call me Godwin's Outlaw. :Sheepish)

Sometimes I think that the Gorskis of the world won't be happy until we have Chinese-style Internet censorship.
How far would the Gorskis of the World go in order to control the conversation on vaccines? Scary question. :nerd:

·
Registered
8,851 Posts
I think it was working: consider the power tripping phenomena that has gone on in the last 5-10 years, where if the pro-complaince folks squawked, the organisation associated with vaccine criticalness (fearing backlash) pulled the story, issued an apology, etc. etc. Rob Sneider and State Farm, Katie Couric and HPV, Chili's and an "autism and wandering" fundraiser.

What remains to be seen is if Vaxxed will change this course. I hope so.

·
Registered
18,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think it was working: consider the power tripping phenomena that has gone on in the last 5-10 years, where if the pro-complaince folks squawked, the organisation associated with vaccine criticalness (fearing backlash) pulled the story, issued an apology, etc. etc. Rob Sneider and State Farm, Katie Couric and HPV, Chili's and an "autism and wandering" fundraiser.

What remains to be seen is if Vaxxed will change this course. I hope so.
I was thinking the same thing. But somehow trying to shut down a documentary film has a different flavor than stopping an ad or a fund-raiser at a restaurant. The closest previous example was the Katie Couric story and I was rather surprised that the pro-vaxers got away with that one. It was pretty blatant.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
I think we should be forgiven for indulging in a little Schadenfreude; that by trying to have the film censored the GOTW have managed to do give it more exposure.

Wonder if they'll try book burning next?

Perhaps we should help DG receive the notoriety he has been clamouring for. How long before we can get the term "Gorskied" (censoring something only to give it more exposure) into the today's lexicon?

For anyone interested in the players behind the censorship:

Backfire: how a pharma-funded “Listserv” and censorship are turning the movie Vaxxed into a worldwide phenomenon

https://medium.com/@jbhandley/backf...e-movie-vaxxed-into-a-53b7c849a13f#.frji0w8bj

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
"My question is whether the strategy being pursued by the people who obviously do not want people to see Vaxxed is working or not working."

I don't think the strategy was to get people not to watch the film so much as we didn't want it legitimized by having it screened at Tribeca, which is a very prestigious film festival (along with Sundance, etc). I haven't heard of the other film festivals mentioned in the OP and I don't have a problem with it being shown there. The bad publicity the film got when it was removed was good, in my opinion. Having a legitimate film festival basically say (paraphrasing) "Hey, we messed up. After viewing the film, there were some serious concerns about the claims being made in it. We are going to pull it" is not at all advantageous to the film. Couple that with the fact that almost every review (at least that I've seen) not written by anti-vaccine websites/blogs have been pretty scathing and I don't see this documentary making much of a dent. Wakefield's name alone tarnishes it whether non-vaxers agree or not.

Case in point about my statement above that removing the film brought awareness to concerns of the film....see the statement about why the mayor pulled from the Houston International Film Festival:

The mayor asked that it be removed from the lineup. I believe Judge Emmett did the same. The film festival is being funded in part through a grant from the City of Houston. The mayor felt it inappropriate for the city to endorse an event that would be screening a film that is counter to the city’s efforts to ensure children receive vaccinations.

The film was also removed from the Tribeca Film Festival lineup so Houston is not alone. In fact, it was that move that raised the concerns locally.
https://www.facebook.com/GregGrooga...7308263652027/959886534060860/?type=3&theater

Bolded is the relevant part.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
"My question is whether the strategy being pursued by the people who obviously do not want people to see Vaxxed is working or not working."

I don't think the strategy was to get people not to watch the film so much as we didn't want it legitimized by having it screened at Tribeca, which is a very prestigious film festival (along with Sundance, etc). I haven't heard of the other film festivals mentioned in the OP and I don't have a problem with it being shown there. The bad publicity the film got when it was removed was good, in my opinion. Having a legitimate film festival basically say (paraphrasing) "Hey, we messed up. After viewing the film, there were some serious concerns about the claims being made in it. We are going to pull it" is not at all advantageous to the film. Couple that with the fact that almost every review (at least that I've seen) not written by anti-vaccine websites/blogs has been pretty scathing and I don't see this documentary making much of a dent. Wakefield's name alone tarnishes it whether non-vaxers agree or not.

Case in point about my statement above that removing the film brought awareness to concerns of the film....see the statement about why the mayor pulled from the Houston International Film Festival:

https://www.facebook.com/GregGrooga...7308263652027/959886534060860/?type=3&theater

"...so much as we didn't want it legitimized by having it screened at Tribeca..."

Tell us, what part did you have in getting this film pulled from Tribeca? Are you on that listserv?

Sus

·
Registered
8,849 Posts
"...so much as we didn't want it legitimized by having it screened at Tribeca..."

Tell us, what part did you have in getting this film pulled from Tribeca? Are you on that listserv?

Sus
It's not hard to look into that "we" part as to who was behind this.

People read banned books and see "censored" movies, certainly got a lot to sign that petition.

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
@teacozy,
Did any of the people including DG that moved to censor the film, even see the film before they called for it to be censored?
I don't know who DG is but I doubt it (DeNiro did watch it I think). There is simply not any evidence of a cover-up or conspiracy. All the "earth shattering" documents that supposedly were going to bring the CDC "down to its knees" are out there for anyone to look at. They've been out for months at this point. If there was something there, an anti-vaccine website or blog would have found it by now. Even the "damning" garbage can quote was found to have totally been taken out of context. Nothing was destroyed, everything was backed up on CDC servers and remain there according to Thompson.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
At the center of the network was a listserv group email list of more than 100 prominent individuals and science research bodies run out of the Immunization Action Coalition (IAC) based in St Paul, Minnesota. The listserv acts as an early warning system that sounds the alarm whenever the potent conspiracy theory that autism can be caused by vaccination surfaces.
http://www.theguardian.com/society/...iro-anti-vaccination-film-scientists-response

Here are some of the sponsors of the IAC:

AstraZeneca
GlaxoSmithKline
Merck Sharp & Dohme Corp.
Pfizer, Inc.
Sanofi Pasteur
Seqirus

http://www.immunize.org/aboutus/funding.asp

·
Registered
5,075 Posts

Sus
I had to look up what "listserv" even meant so no. "We" = people who were critical of Tribeca showing the film, which certainly does not encompass every pro-vaxer.

·
Administrator
2,064 Posts
C'mon y'all. Discuss the topic - not each other.

In all forums polite exchange of information and opinion is a priority. Personally directed negative comments will not be tolerated. Discuss the topic and not the individual. Moderation will be to uphold a comfortable posting atmosphere for all and members who do not heed these guidelines will be removed from the discussion or lose access to the Vaccinations area of the community.

·
Registered
18,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)

I don't think the strategy was to get people not to watch the film so much as we didn't want it legitimized by having it screened at Tribeca, which is a very prestigious film festival (along with Sundance, etc). I haven't heard of the other film festivals mentioned in the OP and I don't have a problem with it being shown there. The bad publicity the film got when it was removed was good, in my opinion. Having a legitimate film festival basically say (paraphrasing) "Hey, we messed up. After viewing the film, there were some serious concerns about the claims being made in it. We are going to pull it" is not at all advantageous to the film. Couple that with the fact that almost every review (at least that I've seen) not written by anti-vaccine websites/blogs have been pretty scathing and I don't see this documentary making much of a dent. Wakefield's name alone tarnishes it whether non-vaxers agree or not.

Happy for you that you feel good about the process.

We'll just have to see how it plays out.

This is the first time that the strategy that was previously successful in shutting down discussion has hit a burp. There was the Allstate ad with Rob Schneider, the Chili Fundraiser for wandering kids kits (that was truly yucky, sorry) and then the big fuss over the HPV show run by Katie Couric. All three times, the attack strategy worked well.

This time, it is clear, that De Niro caved, but then went on TV to say he thinks there is nothing wrong with the movie, he just wanted to protect Tribeca from drowning in controversy, the movie was then invited to three other festivals (not as big, but still) and then the movie was de-invited from a second festival...

I'm not sure that the vaccine supporters are getting the kind of publicity they really want.

Seriously, I don't think that Wakefield can be blackened any more thoroughly than has already been done, so the attack strategy is left with trying to be subtle about why Thompson spoke up about nothing at all and I'm not sure the general public is going to buy it.

Especially when the vaccine defenders succumb to attacking the parents who speak up about their vaccine injured children. I think there is an attempt to rein in the online supporters from making these attacks, but they are not the best behaved or politest group and they aren't coming across so much as smart as fanatical.

See the discussion on the Manhattan Film Fest facebook page for examples.

1 - 20 of 1184 Posts