Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. This is my first post, though I have been lurking and reading for awhile.

I am 36 and 7 weeks pregnant for my 5th child. Let me give you a little background:

In 1987, at 17, I had my 1st section after being induced and not profressing past 2 cm after 14 hours.

I had another in 1988, 1992, and in Jan/04 because I was told that vbac was too dangerous.

When I got pregnant this time, I decided to start doing some research on my own. This will be my last child, and I am really hoping to be able to vbac, but I'm not sure realistically what my chances are. How much more likely am I to rupture than someone with 1 previous scar?

My family dr. actually thinks that it's a great idea to try for a vbac, but unfortunately, he doesn't deliver babies anymore.
He seems to think the risk is minimal.

I feel so sad, I just don't know what to do. I 'm worried that I won't find any Dr's or midwives who will be willing to help me. Sorry to sound like I'm whining.

I guess what I'm wondering, where can I go to get lots of info about this? Do any mommies have any experience with vba4c?

I'd be really gratefeul for any help..and if you think I'm crazy for even wanting to try vbz4c, you can say that too..hehehe

Shelley

·
Registered
694 Posts
No resources for ya, but my midwife just recently delivered a VBA4C...she said this woman had a beautiful water birth and no probs from her four previous c-sections. Good luck and I'm sure it'll work beautifully for you.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Congratulations to you on having a birth to look forward to! I don't believe there are any studies on VBA4C but anecdotally I've heard good things. I'd be very surprised if you could manage it in a hospital though and to save my blood pressure, please stay away from Obs
Too many lie and say they support women to VBAC and then, strangely enough, at the end of the pregnancy "problems" start happening and it's back into the OR for you, little lady! You are limited in your choices now but don't lose hope. Look for a good MW and doula and sail into birth like the birthing goddess you are! You've done scary, now you can do empowering!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hi There!
I noticed you are posting from the Toronto area. I live a bit north of Toronto but happen to know there is a midwife in the scarborough area that would probably attend your birth at home. Let me know if you would like more info. You can e-mail me of the list. Having a VBAC is very doable!
Take Care

·
Registered
342 Posts
Just wanted to give you a bit of encouragement...I will be trying for a VBA4C in the future. I have heard quite a few stories of women who VBAC'ed with four (or more) cesareans. Good luck, & stay away from OB's & meddlesome MW's!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the replies!
I'm currently in search of a midwife in the Toronto area who will agree to take me on, even if I have to deliver at home.

I'm a little scared, but I have several months to prepare, and I'm going to trust that my body knows what to do.
Hopefully I'll find someone who can help me!

Shelley

·
Registered
391 Posts
I hope you find a wonderful midwife who believes in your body's ability to birth your baby!

I thought I'd pass on an article to you that you may find helpful/healing/informative. Some may be offended by the contents (discusses rape) and I am in NO WAY trying to steal the thread or start some sort of controversy. I found the article quite healing for me.

http://www.birthlove.com/free/rape_complimentary.html

Good luck and keep us posted!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm not sure if I am just dense (very likely! ) but I don't know who Gloria Lemay is.
If you could enlighten me?

Shelley

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.