Mothering Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't find much info so far (still in preliminary stages of research) but was wondering what you all have to say about the importance of weight wrt VBACS.<br><br>
I never got to push last time (failure to progress after induction at 37 weeks), I think the section was unnecessary. I am not as worried about whether or not I will be able to vbac, more worried about being "risked out" bc I am a little over 200lbs (but have been losing well)... But I am in good shape, very strong, and have a great diet and am active. I just didn't start losing baby weight until AF came back.<br><br>
btw, I don't know if I am pg yet (will find out when ds wakes up and I can go to the store!)

·
Registered
792 Posts
Check-out this website: <a href="http://www.plus-size-pregnancy.org/" target="_blank">http://www.plus-size-pregnancy.org/</a>.<br><br>
Lots of great info even for those gals who are not plus size.<br><br>
I wouldn't worry about it. I weighed more & was not in great shape when I got pregnant with my VBAC baby. No one mentioned it as an issue.<br><br>
L

·
Banned
29 Posts
My sister in law was over weight and her doc would not let her gain more than 15 pounds with any of her babies. She did fine with all of her births. I weighed just over 200 when I had a vbac. I'm sure if you continue to take care of yourself you will be fine. Good Luck!!

·
Registered
8,849 Posts
find a size friendly homebirth midwife and then you dont have to worry about risking out.<br>
i was 310 when i had my hbac, nothing risky about birthing my 10lb 22inch baby through my vagina that hadnt been used for my 8lb9oz 21inch baby when i was a large mama. its not like we have 50 lb vaginas!!!

·
Registered
15,097 Posts
you might want to start with finding a provider that realizes being overweight or having a previous c-section is no reason to risk anyone out of a natural birth.<br><br>
I'm both fat and had a c-section but had an easy HBAC with no complications at all.<br><br>
You might do best with a midwife.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Ditto what they've said. It's more important to find a provider who's gung-ho on VBAC (probably a midwife).<br><br>
The only issue with my weight has been the addition of GDiabetes and its impact on needing the baby to be born "on time" but not having induction as a backup.<br><br>
So far, so good, though.<br><br>
And thin women have GD too, so it's not just a weight thing.

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
I am fat too! I have only been at a healthy weight for my first, my c-section. After that not so healthy. Today I weigh 235lbs and am going for my 6th VBAC!<br><br>
Weight should NOT be an issue.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I weighed 235 when I delivered my VBAC baby! My weight was not an issue. I didn't have GD and my blood pressure stayed in the normal range, unlike it did when I was pregnant with my dd and weighed 50lbs less.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts