Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am 26 weeks pregnant and possibly moving to Minnesota very soon. The original plan was this summer after the baby is born but we may not have much say which is disappointing to me because I've got everything set up here for a very supportive VBAC. My question is what hospitals and doctors if any are VBAC friendly in Duluth/Superior? I would just go for a homebirth with a midwife but I can't afford anything out of pocket unfortunately. I'll be on the state Medicaid program so the provider would need to accept that also. Here in Texas my Medicaid covers a CNM in a midwife group that works with an Obgyn group and delivers at a very VBAC supportive hospital. I'm very confident here in a successful VBAC delivery so I really hope we are able to wait until summer to move. Thanks so much!

Any pediatrician recommendations would be wonderful too since I'll have a 2 year old and a newborn this summer.

· Premium Member
4,477 Posts
hey mama! i just saw this post, so i didn't get a chance to respond here before i emailed you (it's marisa). on the pedi front, i love-love-love our family practice doc, julie reichhoff at superiorhealth group, and i've heard the pediatric group at st mary's is breastfeeding friendly and really great.

julie was my back-up doctor for my home vbac. i transferred to the hospital, and duluth hospitals have "ob oversight" when a family practice doc is attending. she basically wasn't doing anything, so we decided that she would go home and just let the on-call ob take over (since she essentially had, anyway). but i like bringing my kids to her, knowing that she trusts the normal process of birth, she is not pushy at all or quick to jump to medicating something that could work itself out in time, and understands what it's like to be a working and breastfeeding mom. she's very cool - but there are a lot of great baby/kid doctors in the duluth area.

· Premium Member
4,477 Posts
ooh, jen mueller is a good recommendation. unfortunately, ps rudie (and many other family practice docs) won't do vbac. it's not because they don't support it. it's because of the flack they get from the obs, and the fact that at both st luke's and st mary's, when you get to the hospital for a vbac, your family doc will meet you there and be there for you, but the ob essentially takes over. it's not the family docs' fault - it's the policy of the ob groups and the hospitals, and the family docs can't do anything about it.

eta: i agree about heather winesette too! i've never interacted with her in a clinic setting, but i've met her in real life and she's super awesome.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.