Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am 15 weeks pregnant today, Yeah!!! My daughter was born at 24 real weeks via c-section. We thought it was due to the unicornuate uterus I have but found out that her placenta gave out, which is possibly a result of bad blood flow at the attached place due to the malformation. Her placenta was at the front of my body and we had a hard time hearing the heartbeat through it. I had an ultrasound last week and we found the placenta to be in the back which I was told is the best possible place. I actually have a good sized uterus it is just shaped funky. I live in a town with a famous birthing center and great midwives. I am seeing everyone from the midwives to a high-risk OB to a specialized high-risk doctor. My doctor told me she thinks a repeat c-section is a good idea. She works closely with midwives and I believe her to be a great person. I did think that maybe she was stuck in that doctor mode of safetysafetysafety and wanted to shop around for opinions about VBACs with a malformation. She did say that she was willing to let me do a trial of labor if everything looked good towards the end. She is concerned that because the uterus is crooked and goes off to the side that the labor contractions may not work normally like in a regular uterus. I have found a few reports of vaginal births with a UU but most of the info out there just gives statistics about live-births and miscarriages.<br>
Does anyone know much about this?<br>
Tiffany

·
Registered
68 Posts
Tiffany- While I don't know much about particulars of the many different shaped and sizes of uteri, I am wondering this:<br><br>
If the contractions were to work differently than a "normal" uterus, could that in any way hurt the baby? Or would it just mean a different labor pattern, slower, faster, irregular... and how would you know if this wouldaffect it at all without trying. And would the trying hurt the baby?<br><br>
To me, part of birth is planning the safest birth possible for both mother and baby. Cesarean is not the safest for mother or baby typically. There are many risks inherent to major surgery including increased morbidity and mortality.<br><br>
I am seeing far too many (IMHO) OBs and practitioners use any possinble excuse they can get their hands on to suggest elective repeat c/s. Baby is too big. Baby is too small. Placenta is low lying. Baby has funny shaped head. So call me sketical, but I would wonder what the risk is to your baby. Is there really one?<br><br>
Hope you find out.<br><br><br>
Blessings<br>
Jaya

1 - 2 of 2 Posts